Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video playback stops after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can't tell yet. Because I get corrupted (or suspected of being corrupted) files on download, when they won't play off the hdd I cannot tell why. And even playbacks directly off the net are sometimes ok, sometimes not.

I'll try to find some DVD videos to play and let you know the results if that's of value.

thanx, again. r

Advertisements

Blood Elemental

Blood Elemental

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hmm ic. Well you should check your event viewer first for errors and also try playing some videos from safe mode and see if they give the same errors.

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks, Blood Elemental,

I'll try to find the event reader for the error messages which I'll post and re-read about safe mode so I can try that suggestion.

I also have a laptop I'm using on wi-fi that I'll connect to this puter's wire port and make sure everything's ok on the ethernet (?) jack that the troublesome machine uses.

r

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
As a partial answer, I found Windows error Reporting and it shows multiple errors in iexplore.exe and Outlook.exe all with the faulting module mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6000.16809, fault address 0x00184ed0.
&#x000a:
I believe I typed that correctly.

Hope this helps.

r

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Help stopped over a week ago. I guess this is beyond the scope of this forum or I couldn't supply info what someone needed.

But I still have the problem. I have hired two different companies to solve the problem and they fiddle around for a few hours, install (and charge for) new hardware that doesn't help, hand me a bill and leave saying it's either fixed or that they'll do some research and get back to me (and don't). However, they still charged for all the time and materials to that point.

Has anyone advice on the pay-for-help support from Microsoft? They show help for about $60 but say it doesn't include "advanced" help -- which is probably what I need. Maybe I just need to pay the first fee to get to the "advanced" help and see if they can solve the problem.

Any other ideas where I might go?

It seems unrealistic that someone can't solve this problem.

Thanks for all the effort.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and check out the security update problem that Microsoft released back in March for just this problem. This would almost be the exact time your issue started.
Please let us know if it fixes the problem.

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanx rshaffer61,

I downloaded (IE8) from that site but I still have the problem: tried to watch video from YouTube but it hung up part way through. I had tried IE8 before and saw no change so I re-installed 7. With my corrupted downloads could this machine have just reloaded old 8 from memory? Should I dump the old downloads and try again? (Forgot how, however)

r

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would be wise to get rid of all corrupted downloads and get them again.
Lets try some fixs and see what pops up at us. :) Please follow the steps in order and report back with the results after each step.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

If this does not work then:

Go to
Start>>My Computer>>Right Click On 'C" drive>>Properties
Click on Tools tab at the top
In the Error Checking field click Check Now

When that is done
In Defragmentation field click Defragment Now

Reboot and let me know how system is running now. If no improvement then we will move onto the following steps.

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem and if not move to the next step

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f
Note... there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS... this can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem. if this doesn't fix the problem then we will have to do a System File Check

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
OK, I ran ATF Cleaner (downloaded off another computer so my corrupted downloads wouldn't effect) and freed up 254 MBs; ran error checking; defraged and rebooted. Still have problem so I will start on the CHKDSK /f and others you suggested and let you know (should find time later today).

Thanx again,
r

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
After everything is finished then I'm just curious on a few points.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Then try it and let us know if it works. If not then move on to the next step.

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Advertisements

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I ran the chkdsk /f: no change. Will run the /r next.

r

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the Startup step yet?

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just ran the chkdsk /r: still BO. I'll do the Startups, let you know the results and then run msconfig Services as you directed.

r

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update

OptimisticInDenver

OptimisticInDenver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just finished removing all the Startups: It made no difference in my problem or percievable difference in loading speed so I put them all back up.

I'll now run the msconfig Services exercise and let you know the results.

r