Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen and other problems

• Please log in to reply

zandre

zandre

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a gateway computer and it has a virus. I was originally getting a Mgrview.exe error, so I tried to follow the steps listed on your malware forum. I did 3 of the 4 steps and when I rebooted, I got the blue screen, the blue screen codes are 0x0000008e, 0xc0000005, 0xf84a75c6, 0x0000000.

I did the system restore, cta and malware install to try and fix the mgrview.error

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
right now, I am not able to get past the blue screen in order to get windows to open up. I tried the atf cleaner, the system restore and the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but I must of done something wrong because now I have the blue screen

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system will boot up but just won't complete bootup correct?
Using the system you are now do the following steps. Make the bootable disc and then use it on the bad system. This will allow the memory to be tested outside windows. This BSOD error you are getting relates to a memory problem.

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.
There are two different ways you can setup the tests depending on your system.

Floppy drive version you can get the 6th file down
Set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first
Cd drive Second
Then the Hard drive C:

For cd iso version get the 2nd file down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
thanks, I will try. do I need a read/write cd or will a read cd work?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All you need is a CD-R.

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
am I making a bootable cd to open windows or just to run memtest? do I click on your burncdcc link first or the memtest link? when you say the cd iso file is the 2nd one down, I don't know which one you are referencing.

thanks

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok, I have burned a cd with memtest.iso on it. do I unzip it while I am on my good computer or do I just put the burned cd in the computer that is not working and boot it from the cd?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
you did unzip the file and had it extract the iso out right?
All you want to burn is the iso file and nothing else
If that is what you have then put the burned cd in the system that is not working and boot it up
follow the instructions i posted

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 April 2009 - 06:34 PM.

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
when I opened memtest, i downloaded the memtest iso zip file (the 2nd file down) to my cd. After the download when I opened my cd, I had one big file (nti memtest86+-2.11.iso). do I now extract all files out of the big file or just put the burned cd in the bad computer?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry I don't think I explained it correctly for you. I apologize.
When you download the file you should download it to your desktop
Then Unzip it to your desktop
Then just the file that was extracted from the zip is all you burn to cd
Then you put the cd in the other system and boot

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok thanks. I have a cd that says boot disk, that is what I will put into the bad computer tomorrow.. After I do that, how do I get the windows screen back instead of the blue screen, or will it depend on what the memtest says?

Thanks again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah let the memtest run as I said for at least 2 hours, Then if there are no problems you can stop it. We can then continue on. We will need to get you back into windows so that you can go to the malware forum and have the techs go thru it and make sure you are clean. Don't want to put a bandade on everything and have a virus mess it up later.

zandre

zandre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok, I did the memtest and let it run for 2 hours and there were no errors. What should be the next step?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you boot into safe mode yet?
If you can go to
Start>Right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager
Is there anything in there that has a yellow exclamation mark next to it?
I'm going to ask a malware expert if he can take a look at this. What ever this virus is it has played havoc on your system. Short of format and a fresh install(Which is always a last option here at GTG) I need some expert advice on if they can fix the problem without being able to egt into windows.
I'm hoping you can boot into safe mode. That will help allot.