Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Obnoxious speaker buzzing-type noise

• Please log in to reply

Luinkhelek

Luinkhelek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey all!

I own an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop that is having a problem right now. When I push the power button to turn it on it starts up fine, but after a few seconds a buzzing, clicking noise starts. It's pitch starts kind of low and then increases higher and with more intensity. Other than this issue my computer works just fine.

When I get logged into Windows the buzzing is still there, but anytime I attempt something that I think uses more electricity to make it go, the pitch increases, while when it's idling the pitch is lower. As an example, when my computer is idling the pitch is at a level, but if I right-click start and click "explore," the pitch goes crazy until the window is opened fully and everything is listed as it should be. Then the buzzing goes back to "normal." And as I shut down the computer the noise abruptly stops when the screen "turns off," leaving the rest of the computer to turn off.

I think I have limited it to being my left speaker. But because it's a laptop, I don't know if fixing it will be easy.

I can still hear sounds and music from the right speaker, but the buzzing is so loud and obnoxious that it takes all enjoyment away from owning it.

Would it be smarter for me to send it into the repair system through HP or attempt to fix it myself? I don't have a lot of experience fixing computers, but I had a bad experience about 3-4 months back with the repair system through HP.

Any replies will be appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Luinkhelek

Luinkhelek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think I posted this in the wrong area... :)

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
It sounds like a possible hardware problem and I would have posted it there first, but I think it will be fine here. Let's wait to see what one of the professionals think about this issue.