Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Stop : 0x000000FC" Error.

• Please log in to reply

KH19

KH19

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,
When I plug in my iPod, Webcam or digital camera to a USB port to my laptop I get a blue screen error that consists of:

"Stop: 0x000000FC (0xF79388E8, 0x0719E963, 0xF7938848, 0x00000001)"

I have 3 USB ports and those 3 devices listed above are the only ones that shut down my PC. I use a mouse, headset, cell phone charger, etc. that all dont shut it down. Ive tried having nothing else plugged in when plugging one of them in, no change. Ive tried all the USB's with those 3 devices with no change.

My computer specs are:

System Manufacturer: LENOVO (T61 Thinkpad)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 998MB RAM

This has been going on for a few months now, just been avoiding using those devices but would be nice to be able to use them again with my computer.

A few things that ive tried to fix it is Windows update and Bios update, the windows update didn't fix anything and I have the most recent Bios update.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Edit: I unfortunately dont have a Windows CD, my laptop didnt come with one.

Edited by KH19, 08 April 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What did you do before the problem started? Install a driver, program, or service pack?
The STOP error you are experiencing can have many causes.

If you just install SP3 look at this post, it has some links
http://www.geekstogo...-3-t198297.html

Edited by edge2022, 08 April 2009 - 05:29 PM.

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It was a windows update of some sort that I think did it, Did the SP3 come out around December/January? A few months ago I got it to work again but not sure what I did to fix it, but its back giving the same errors and same devices causing them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can always uninstall the SP3 update thru add\remove programs. Go to add\remove programs and make sure you click on the box at the top that says
Show Updates.
Scroll down till you find the SP3 and remove it thru there. Reboot and try your devices again

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You can always uninstall the SP3 update thru add\remove programs. Go to add\remove programs and make sure you click on the box at the top that says
Show Updates.
Scroll down till you find the SP3 and remove it thru there. Reboot and try your devices again

That really wont have any negative effect to my computer? Im not really computer savvy in these types of files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No it will rollback the Sp to SP2 then since that should have been the one on your system before. If SP3 is the problem that caused your issue then rolling it back will fix the problem. You can always reinstall later if you choose to

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

No it will rollback the Sp to SP2 then since that should have been the one on your system before. If SP3 is the problem that caused your issue then rolling it back will fix the problem. You can always reinstall later if you choose to

Thanks ill try that later tonight and give feedback on whether that worked or not.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok Thanks. I will be back in the morning. I will check for your reply then. Please follow the instruction closely in the add\remove directions I gave you so you don't remove something else by mistake.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think that installing SP3 has been causing some 0xFC errors. Good luck on trying to solve your problem!

Edited by edge2022, 08 April 2009 - 11:48 PM.

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Uninstalled SP3 and restarted and is still shutting down on me unfortunately. Any more tips to correct this? Something that I found out that the my BIOS update isnt the most recent update but when I try to update to the newest one it says "BIOS image file is same as BIOS ROM. An update is not necessary at this time." Not sure what to do about that.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this problem occur in safe mode?
http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml
Read this on how to get into safe mode. Try plugging a usb device and see if it blue-screens.

Do you have your Windows Setup CD?
Try going Start -> Run -> sfc/scannow

If it finds any system files corrupted or missing it may prompt for the CD.

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Does this problem occur in safe mode?
http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml
Read this on how to get into safe mode. Try plugging a usb device and see if it blue-screens.

Do you have your Windows Setup CD?
Try going Start -> Run -> sfc/scannow

If it finds any system files corrupted or missing it may prompt for the CD.

I remember a while ago trying it in safe mode and it still shut down on me, ill try it again in the morning.

I dont have my Windows CD, it didn't come with my laptop unfortunately, but I did the scan. It finished the scan and no more windows came up so I assume it didn't find any errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is just a suggestion and you can do this if you choose. Please read this carefully before deciding to do what it says

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thank You Broni for the instructions

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Just as an aside, I read something recently about an optional update for USB filters. The next time that you visit Windows Update, check for the available optional updates to see if one is listed.

KH19

KH19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

This is just a suggestion and you can do this if you choose. Please read this carefully before deciding to do what it says

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thank You Broni for the instructions

I did this scan last night, it quit when it was done and I assumed it ment that there are no errors, this reassures it.

Just as an aside, I read something recently about an optional update for USB filters. The next time that you visit Windows Update, check for the available optional updates to see if one is listed.

Thanks for the imput, unfortunately there aren't any USB updates in my Windows Update scan, I checked both Software Updates and Hardware Updates (both are listed as optional) with both not having an update for the USB.

Any more suggestions to fix this issues? When my computer starts back up from a blue-screen shut down it has the whole "send error" window pop-up, but those 5 suggestions didn't help at all. One of them was a BIOS update, one was a power option adjustment and I cant remember the other 3 but they didn't work.