Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection help

• Please log in to reply

crazcarson

crazcarson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
xbox 360 and laptop can not be connected to the internet at the same time.

so when i hook up to Xbox Live, my laptop will disconnect from the internet. when i get on my laptop my Xbox will disconnect. After i get off my laptop i attempt to go get on Xbox Live it wont work....so i go down stairs and unplug the router and plug it back in.....back up stairs re enter my WEP key and then it works....but as soon as someone tries to get on the internet through the laptop the Xbox Live shuts down.

Also i did notice that my home PC "which im on now its an Windows XP." had a little bubble error saying something like a network was using your ip adress. Idk i cannot remmber.

Cord to Router connection to Xbox is not an option. Its too far away.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi crazcarson Welcome to G2G
Your problem is that the laptop and the xbox are trying to use the same IP Address.
This will cause a conflict and knock the otherone out.
Is the laptop XP ?
If yes right click on my network places click on properties double click on local area connection click on internet protocol
click on properties.
Under the General tab should be obtain an ip address automatically.
and obtain dns server server address automatically. both should be selected.
if no then write down the numbers that are there and post back.

For Vista go to start > network >network center> local area connection > details
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 09 April 2009 - 03:27 PM.