Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to dual boot XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I could really use some help here. I had Windows XP Professional with SP3 (and all the latest updates) installed on my system. I decided I wanted to try Vista, so I thought to set up a dual boot. I created a bootable CD of GParted Live v4.3-2 and used this to split my harddrive into two partions of about 35 gigs each, with XP remaining on the one partition.

When this completed, I inserted my Vista DVD and set it up to install on the newly created partiton (the one without XP). It copies the files over, and reboots. I assume at this point that the installation has not finished, but it never continues. I am not even provided with a menu to choose XP or Vista to boot into.

It goes to the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" screen, but doesn't continue. When I removed the DVD and rebooted, it went to just a blank screen.

Ideally, I'd like it to continue the Vista install. But right now if my only option is to forget about that, I'd like to find a way to revert back to just having XP load so I don't have to do a reinstall from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreicated...

mike.

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I've been doing some research, and it seems my issue might have something to do with the fact that the hard drive that I split into two partitions for dual booting purposes is an SATA drive. And I also have an IDE drive as a backup installed. Supposedly, Vista, during installation, looks at the IDE even though it's supposed to be setting up on the SATA. But that still leaves me with my current problem. How do I get Vista to continue installing or XP go back to booting?

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I had this issue with XP (and wasn't able to confirm if it's also in Vista). In my system when I installed XP, it selected the IDE drive to boot from, then would transfer control to the XP installation on the SATA drive.

I fixed it by disconnecting the IDE drive and installing XP then. I'd assume that disconnecting the IDE drive and doing a repair on the XP installation would result in a bootable XP installation
(how to located here: http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm )

This won't prevent the system from booting from the IDE drive when you reconnect it - so you'll have to instruct the BIOS to ignore the drive when it boots.

As for the Vista installation, I'd first repair XP. Once that's fixed, format the partition that Vista goes on (you can do this from the Vista installer) and start the Vista installation over again. As before, leave the IDE drive disconnected when installing Vista.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for your help, usasma. It worked!

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I'm glad that it worked for you! Thanks for letting us know!