Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crazy names

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Anita Gofordump

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
:) Seriously?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Heard it on a radio show

LesleyinUK

LesleyinUK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I worked part-time on the check-out of a large supermarket when my kids were young, and I remember this one guy who I used to serve at least once a week; he only ever bought alcohol, mainly vodka and beer... he'd always pay by credit card, and I've never forgotten his name, even though it was nearly twenty years ago... it was Terence Tipple! :)

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hi all,
Crazy names? Here's a list of some Dutch surnames, and their literal translations, that have been around since the early 1800's.

Naaktgeboren (Born naked)
Weltevreden (Am satisfied)
Boterhoofd (Butter head)
Platvoet (Flat foot)
Suikerbuik (Sugar belly)
Scheefnek (Crooked neck)
Zeldenthuis (Rarely at home)
Spring in 't veld (Jump in the field)
Nooitgedacht (Never thought of it)
Vanhetzelfde (From the same)
Niemandsverdriet (Nobodies sadness)
Zonderkop (Without a head)

Why such screwy names? France had occupied the Netherlands in the early 1800's and made it mandatory for the common folk to choose surnames. The Dutch didn't take this law serious and didn't think that France would much longer be occupying their country, but had to comply. The French did leave, however, the Dutch government maintained the use of surnames. :-)

Edited by crooz, 18 May 2009 - 04:40 AM.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
:)

i can read German.

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 18 May 2009 - 08:21 AM.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Dick Butkus
Pronounced But-Kiss

#1MIfan

#1MIfan

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
I worked for security for General Motors some years back, and we had a book that had a list of every employee that worked in the plant. Here is a list of some of the names in the book. (No lie!) James Woods, Chuck Norris, Michael Jackson, Joe Piscopo (remember that guy!) and my all time favorite Bu Hu. The real kicker was that if somebody needed to get in touch with those people on the line, they would call us, then we would have to call them over the PA system and tell them to call down to us so we could relay the message to them. I had the distinct honor of telling Chuck Norris to call someone in another department. Not even three seconds later, all the phone lines were abuzz with people asking me "Did you just say Chuck Norris?" Some of the higher ups at the plant even called down to tell me that I could get in serious trouble for playing on the PA! My supervisor had to show one of them his name in the employee listing :)

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I was watching TV one when I was 6 years old and it was an art show, and one the artists (he was English) name was Dirty Dick :) .

MrPatrick

MrPatrick

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Had to provide tech support for a guy who's surname was Dikshit

:/

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
What about Michael Jackson's kid named Blanket... :) No wonder he was know as wacko.

Now I thought that Michael Hunt (just call him Mike) would have been on the list a lot earlier than this. For those who know what I am talking about will get it. Then again, I most probably will for posting this.

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Certainly we can't forget the names of Frank Zappa's four kids. Their names were Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. :) What a hoot! What person in their right mind would name their children like that? ...then again, the 'The Man In Black's' father called HIM 'Sue.' Ahem.

Edited by crooz, 31 July 2009 - 02:35 PM.

millermil

millermil

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Reminds me of an OLD joke about how Chinese name their babies. Would probably be considered offensive now.

Chopin

Chopin

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
Someone I met at my medical program this summer was called Dat Ho :)

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
At my work someone's name is Li Chen.