Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wuauclt.exe + msiexec.exe errors when installing

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I recently reformatted my computer. I reinstalled all the programs I usually use, including all the virus/malware software that you guys suggest, and updated windows at microsoft.com.

The next day I realized I missed adobe reader and tried to install that. Every time I try I get a msiexec.exe error

Since then a windows update has become available and when I try to install that I get a wuauclt.exe error

I believe it's anytime I try to install anything I get either one of these errors.

I installed virus/antimalware software immediately so I don't think it's that.

I really need Adobe reader for school and I'd like to be able to keep my comp up to date obviously. I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...

Go to Start...Run and type in:...msiexec /unregister [click ok]

Then Start....Run and type in:...msiexec /regserver [click ok]

If neither of the above has helped: Go to Start....Run...type in Regedit press enter
navigate to...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

Does the image path in the right pane correctly point to: (modify drive letter as needed)
C:\Windows\System32\Msiexec.exe /V
If not: boot into safe mode and then go to Start...Run.. type in: msiexec.exe press enter

Once done and while still there type in: msiexec /regserver press enter
Check the image path again, if it is now present, reboot.

go here and get ...
Foxit PDF Reader...once you try it you will NEVER go back to Adobe Reader

Foxit PDF Reader is an alternative to Adobe Reader, that allows you to view and print PDF files and opens them very fast, without any delay. It supports all the standard features, as well as browser integration, and also an option select/copy of text from the documents. Furthermore, you can create a snapshot from a selected portion of the page, fill interactive forms and more.

This program automatically installs the Ask.com toolbar unless you opt-out.you do not want this toolbar so don't get click happy
Pros: Much faster than Adobe Reader

Edited by happyrock, 10 April 2009 - 04:38 PM.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Ok, so that didn't work. I still get a msiexec.exe error when installing adobe reader, and I still get a wuauclt.exe error when trying to do Windows update.

But... The alternate PDF reader did install and works!!! You've solved my biggest problem as now I can at least use this machine for school. Obviously I would like to address the other issue though, as I think I should get the security updates and sooner or later I'm going to need to install something else that won't work. So yeah, any more suggestions.

Thanks again in advance!

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
I wonder if this is an access denied error. Could you look at your Windows Update logfile and post back with the errors that it shows (only post the stuff around the time of the error - the log will be too huge otherwise). Here's a link on how to find it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
Here's the gist of it:

This article describes how to read the Windowsupdate.log file. To view the log file, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.

Edited by usasma, 11 April 2009 - 05:13 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try creating another user account...give it admin rights...do you have the same problem with that account...if so

go here and in the optional updates section...get Windows Installer 4.5
no joy...
try this

Download WUFix.exe to your desktop.
Double-Click WUFix.exe to run fix.
You will see a window open and commands processing. When the window closes the fix will have completed.
Restart the computer.
This fix will clear the proxy cache, places Windows Update sites in the Trusted Zone, places Windows Update sites in the exception list of IE Popup Blocker, starts all dependent services, registers required DLLS, empties the Windows Update temporary folder (with backup), renames the catroot2 folder, retains update history and Event log, and deletes BITS pending download queue.

go here to get it

Edited by happyrock, 11 April 2009 - 06:36 AM.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I was unable to try your suggestions. As of this morning, when I boot up I get a blue screen and am only able to load in safemode...

The computer has given me problems recently hence the reason I needed to reformat a week ago.

I'm not sure if I'm screwed now or not. I only get the blue screen for about 1.5 seconds so I can't seem to get the error code down.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello LANCE_1313

Boot into safe mode & Lets have a look at your Minidump's

go to> c:/windows/minidump , Zip and attach logs in next reply

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 11 April 2009 - 10:47 PM.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
my poor little computer seems to run much faster in safe mode.

Let me know if you need anything else
LANCE

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode ...Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties....Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery... click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK your way out...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect

this will get rid of the auto rebooting and give you a blue screen that will give us a clue to the offending driver or whatever is going on...

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Wow! The last 4 dump files are very interesting to me! They seem to point to either memory corruption, and issue with your hard drive, or a problem with your motherboard.

The first thing to try is to see if there are any errors on your hard drive. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

The dialog will tell you that it can't run right now and will ask you if you want to schedule a check for the next time the system reboots. Answer Y (for yes) and press Enter - then reboot.

Chkdsk /r should run automatically when the system restarts. Keep an eye on it (it's gonna be boring!) to see if it fixes any errors and let us know.

After that you can run a hard drive diagnostic (free from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive) and a bootable memory diagnostic (free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) Post back with any difficulties that you may encounter in running it.

With the memory test, let it run for a minimum of 3 passes (overnight is better). If it starts spitting out errors you can quit the test and post back here. Also let us know the result of the hard drive diagnostic.

Advertisements

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
technical information

STop: 0x0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X80594700, OF889C778, 0X889C474)

Thats what you need right?

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...how much free space do you have on the drive...
I agree on the chkdsk and memory test..
just for grins...download and install WhoCrashed from [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe"%20target="_blank">http://www.resplende...edSetup.exe</a>"]here[/url]..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...it will offer to download the debugger ...let it
WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
this is not going well. Ok, heres what I've done.

the chkdsk crashed. I ordered it to happen and rebooted, and then it bluescreened as normal. So i selected safemode and it seemed to do work but didn't show anything on the screen. After about 20minutes it blue screened. I reloaded in safe mode and that time I got to windows but I don't think a chkdsk happened.

Your question about space.

I have an 80GB harddrive with 2 partitions or 40. the one with the Operating system on it is only about 10GB full and the other for data is only about 15Gb full.

Harddrive diagnostics - Apparently Toshiba doesn't have a diagnostic utility (says the web) if you know of one or an alternative, I'll run that!

This might be a silly questions but, when running memtest86 is it ok to use a DVD instead of a CD? I'm at a reasonably isolated location and I only have a DVD. Is there another way or program that will do the same thing without a boot disk?

Whocrashed. This is amusing. I run the program and it downloads the debugger and then I get a MSIexec.exe. Oh yeah, I forgot about that whole issue. :)

Sorry about this, what a massive failure

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Click Here for manufacturers hd diagnostic tool. Running this will tell us if there is a problem with HD itself. If not then we will pursue other hardware or software possibilities

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 April 2009 - 10:10 PM.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Yeah, thats the site I was talking about. When I follow that link I see that Toshiba's Diagnostic Utility is "N/A"

Am I missing the link somewhere on that page?