Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my pc wont play most games

• Please log in to reply

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the information you asked for is

name nvidia geforce4 mx 440
manufacturer nvidia
chip type geforce mx 440
approx total memory 64.0 mb

i have asked my husband to have a look at the motherboard for me and he not sure how but he said he will give it ago is there away we do this

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try updating the video driver straight from Nvidia
Go Here and supply the requested information in the drop down menus. It will scan your system and should bring up the newest driver for you. Download and\or install. You may have to reboot when its done. I suggest you do even if it doesn't prompt you to. That way we can make sure any changes will take affect. Then try the game again and post back with your results.Your video card model is
Geforce4mx 440

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 01:57 AM.

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i downloaded the driver restarted tried the game and once again i got a little play of the game and then it froze bugger it i cant think of anything else that it could be i checked the spec of the game and it should play without a hassel any ideas hold on i have one more what about the direct x i had alook and cant work out if i can update it or not because it says you have to make sure your card can accept it because you cant roll back or uninstall it any clues there i cant thanks you enough for helping me out rshaffer61

from outbackbec

i have just been through the geeks to go site and have a couple of ideas to run past you first the temp of my computer i dont know how to do this but i downloaded speed fan would the temp of my computer be causing the freezing at all and second i have found an event log well i think thats what it is and yes it went right over my head i right clicked on my computer and went to manage i then clicked on event viewer and then system and a whole list of stuff came up as i say i am not computer savvy but i am trying to learn lol thanks again for all the help and support you are giving me

from outbackbec

Edited by outbackbec, 14 April 2009 - 06:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets take a look at the event viewer and see whats going on then.

Go to
Start>Run>Type in eventvwr.msc Press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on Hardware. Onright side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any of the above double click on them(last three or so one at a time)
copy and paste that info in your next reply

If you can't copy and paste here then do this. While having the double click info still showing on your screen

Next click on your Print Screen on your keyboard
Now go to Start> All Programs > Accessories > Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your desktop
Do this for 2 or 3 of the errors.

Please attach the screenshots

If your attachment is to big to attach then go Here. Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi rshaffer61

i cant seem to copy and pate this info anywhere so here goes i will type it all in here these first 6 (1-6) are red crosses from the applications tab

1. hanging application iexplore.exe,version , hang module hung app, version 0.0.0.0, hang address

2. faulting application avgcsrvx, version 8.5.0.273 faulting module unknown version 0.0.0.0 fault address
3. fault bucket
4. faulting application avgcsrvx.exe, version 8.5.0.273, faulting module avgcorex.dll, version 8.5.0.287, fault address
5. THE ENTRY <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ANDREW\SUNDOWNLOAD MANAGER\SDMWORK QUEUE.PROPERTIES%> in the hash map cannot be updated
context: application, system index catalog
details: a device attached to the system is not functioning (0x8007001f)

6. fault bucket
the following are from the system tab which i am hoping is the hardware tad as i dont have a hardware tab the first 5 (7-11)are the red x and the last one (12) is a warning

7. error code 10000050 parameter 1 parameter 2 , parameter , parameter 4
8. the device,\device\cdrom0, has a bad block

9. error code 1000000a, parameter 1 , parameter 2 00000002, parameter 3 00000000, parameter 4

10. the java quick service terminated with service specific error 1 (0x1)

11. the ip address for the network card with network addresshas been denied by the dhcp server (the dhcp server sent a dhcp nack message)

12. your computer was not able to renew its address from the network ( from the dhcp server) for the network card with network adress 0 the following error occured. the operation was cancelled by the user. your computer will continue to try obtain an address on its own from the network address (dhcp) server

i hope this helps the last one the warning has appered a few time throught the log

many thanks again outbackbec

Edited by outbackbec, 16 April 2009 - 07:35 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
2. faulting application avgcsrvx, version 8.5.0.273 faulting module unknown version 0.0.0.0 fault address 0xb8b53161.

4. faulting application avgcsrvx.exe, version 8.5.0.273, faulting module avgcorex.dll, version 8.5.0.287, fault address 0x0004c655

This is AVG taking up your system resources and memory. Solition is to uninstall it and get Avast in my signature below. Avast is easier on your system but I use it and like it better then any other AV program I have used before. You can register it for year which is good for a year. After that just reregister

8. the device,\device\cdrom0, has a bad block

This is usually caused by a scratched . damaged cd. try cleaning it and see if that helps if it continues then the cdrom disc is messed up or of it works fine with some disks then its not the drive.

I would say your antivirus is causing a slowdown in your system and your cdrom discs are in need of cleaning or they are getting scratched some way.
Let me know what you find out

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi rshaffer61

i downloaded the antivirus all seems fine and i belive the scatch disc would have been my windows xp disc as it only works in my burner but my game seems to still not work and other games that did work now no longer work so i am not sure what has happened one more thing how do i find out if my graphics card can handle the games i cant thank you enough for your help another thought could heat be causing this problem

Edited by outbackbec, 15 April 2009 - 07:06 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To find out about your graphics card go to
Start>Run>type in dxdiag>Click Enter

when the window pops up then look under Display and reply with the following info
Name
Manufacturer
Chip Type
Approx Memory

Check this against the min requirements for the game

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
help me please my computer keeps flashing to a black screen then back to the page i am on it happening every 5 sec

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you rebooted to see if it will fix the problem? How long does the black screen last.
What happened right before it started?

Advertisements

outbackbec

outbackbec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
my computer shut down by its self it is the antivirus that caused the problem after the restart it has not done it yet lets hope it is solved ok off to do the last thing you said
ok the info is

name nvidia geforce 4 mx440
manufacturer nvidia
chip geforce4 mx440
app mem 64.0mb
my computer seems fine now about the black flashing screen

with anit virus how is trend micro

Edited by outbackbec, 15 April 2009 - 07:54 PM.