Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hi guys.

When ever I reboot, or log ff and back on again, there are always 2 instances of Firefox.exe active in Task Manager.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Also, Windows Security reports that I have no Anti Virus running, yest AVG is sat there active with all options working ok.

Finally, Task Manager is also reporting AVG as an active application, even after rebooting.

I have had a couple of tracking cookies recently, and was alerted about a possible Trojan which I'm assuming AVG took care of.

I've run Malawarebytes, AVG and haven't found anything, I've also run ccleaner & ATF prior to the virus scans.

Any ideas as to the cause of these problems?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When ever I reboot, or log ff and back on again, there are always 2 instances of Firefox.exe active in Task Manager.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Go to
Start>Run>type in Msconfig and click enter
Go to the startup tab and check to see if there is indeed two entries for Firefox starting on bootup. If not then if there is only one do you have Firefox set to auto startup on windows startup?

Also, Windows Security reports that I have no Anti Virus running, yest AVG is sat there active with all options working ok.
If you are referring to the little red shield that pops up down next to your clock then the way to stop that is look at the warning. Somewhere on that screen there is a box that says something to the affect that you have a monitoring virus program yourself. Click that box. that should stop this issue

Finally, Task Manager is also reporting AVG as an active application, even after rebooting.

As you stated above, AVG is set to active, it should be active on rebooting as it is set for real time operation.

I have had a couple of tracking cookies recently, and was alerted about a possible Trojan which I'm assuming AVG took care of.

Tracking cookings normally are harmless. They are like a roadmap to show where you have been. It is advisable to clear your cookies at least every week. This will help your browser run faster. Most AV programs will consider cookies a low level threat. Nothing to get alarmed about

I've run Malawarebytes, AVG and haven't found anything, I've also run ccleaner & ATF prior to the virus scans.

The running of registry cleaners is not suggested by GTG as they have shown to cause more problems and could possibility cause instability or unusability to occur with your system unless you know exactly what you are allowing it to clean. Anytime you make changes to the registry it has the potential to cause issues with your system

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 06:02 AM.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The first thing I would have you check is your startup folder.
1) Start menu > Programs > Startup

If there is nothing there that indicates it might be starting FireFox then please follow the following

1) Click on the start button
2) Select "Run"
3) Type "msconfig" and hit enter.
4) Make sure you click the "Custom Startup" radio button then go to the "Startup" tab.
5) Uncheck any think here that might cause firefox to start. Make sure you do not uncheck anything that might cause your fire wall not to start up. If you do then repeat these steps and recheck the boxes relating to your fire wall. Let us know if this works.