Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please. Computer won't start up.

• Please log in to reply

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is getting ridiculous now.

My computer freezes up every time a folder is opened. The folder doesn't open, and the task bar and desktop icons refuse to respond. Now, it froze again on me, and I tried to restart my computer like I normally do via task manager, but this time when it gives me the black loading screen with the loading bar at the bottom (under the Press F12 for blah blah), it WON'T load from that screen. It stops at about 60% and stays there. I have NO money to get a new laptop, or desktop, and I don't know what to do now. Can someone please give me some sort of tip or hint about this?

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to open your computer. Press F8 key while booting to go safe mode.
Now here you can run disk defragmentation and check disk. Also you can check about virus infection.

euphorisch.menschenfeind

euphorisch.menschenfeind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That's what I did. But it wouldn't load to the screen to get to safe mode.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
tap F8 repeatedly
pressing and holding it down won't work.
Wait for the first post screen to clear<<<<<this is the one that counts memory
you should get a black screen with lots of options, one will be Safe mode. Highlight it and press enter
What kind of computer is this?
Make and model