Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assert in LSP

• Please log in to reply

turfguy

turfguy

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I recently cleaned a malware infection with help from Geeks2Go volunteer Heir. The issue I'm having now is evidently an operating system item. While I am on the net I get periodic popups that report as follows:

Assert in LSP

G_socket_data.Lookup(s) = = 0

Capture\lsp\nolsp\wsp-patches.cpp1273

ABORT RETRY IGNORE

If I click on Abort or Ignore, I can proceed with my work, but if I click on Retry, I am notified that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? If so, can you let me know how to proceed to fix it please.

Thanks,
Turfguy (Michigan, USA)

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I've seen Google Desktop cause this problem. Check your Add/Remove programs list. If you have it installed try removing it. If that does not fix it you can always reinstall it. Let me know if this does not work.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried the free program LSP FIX (available here: http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm )
There are several settings in this program that can hose your internet connection - so I'd suggest just reporting to us the information in KEEP section of this screenshot:
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add a FYI. All research I have done on LSP problem seem to point to some kind of infection. Might be worth the trip to malware forum just to make sure.

turfguy

turfguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for the quick replies. I have removed Google Desktop and will check out http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm. I believe I am free of Malware having completed all the G2G steps over the last week or so. Thanks to all who replied. Turfguy

turfguy

turfguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
The removal of the Google Desktop seems to have solved the problem. Thanks.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
turfguy,

Careful with LSP fix removing the wrong Item can cause your system not to be able to connect to the Internet.