Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems keeping my flashplayer working

• Please log in to reply

TALK32

TALK32

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:) All of a sudden my adobe flashplayer is not working.....Didn't do anything different that I recall, it keeps giving me a msg that java script is disabled or you need to get flashplayer to view this screen. I have uninstalled the flashplayer and reingstalled it several times, I don't have firefox, (windows firewall?) when i do re-install it, it works until I sign off and then it comes up with the error msg. and I have to start all over next time I sign on. I use AOL and IE both, and both do the same thing. HELP ME....I haven't found anything anywhere that helps me figure this out, but I see it is a common problem....please if anyone knows anything I would appreciate it :)

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The first thing I would check is to make sure you have the latest Java installed. Make sure you completly uninstall your current Java and go to the home page to install the latest version.

TALK32

TALK32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay..so I uninstalled Java completely, went into the Java website, re-installed Java...which showed it was installed and working. still no working flashplayer reinstalled the flashplayer and it all worked until I re-started my computer and now it comes up with same msg. UGH!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Original statement
" it keeps giving me a msg that java script is disabled or you need to get flashplayer to view this screen"
check and make sure java script is enabled in browser

TALK32

TALK32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yep java script is def enabled

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok after doing some serious research, This issue has been going on for awhile. I found this that seems to fix the problem. Do the steps in order and your problem should go away.

"have you tried deinstalling the plugin first ?

adobe flash versiontest - http://www.adobe.com...ts/flash/about/
adobe flash deinstall - http://kb.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
adobe flash install - [url="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer""]http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"[/url]

TALK32

TALK32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay....I did every step, and everything seemed to work just fine..but....when I restarted my computer, everything came up with the same old messages. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try something unusual. Go Here and get Flash Player
It's free and install it. Lets see if this will work and fix your problem at the same time. There is so many people I have seen researching this with the same problem. So far there has not been a true answer on how to fix it.
Please let me know how this works for you.

TALK32

TALK32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay so I downloaded from this sight and everything appeared to be working just fine, until I logged off. When I logged back on I get the same old message (Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player). So, my daughters friend came over and messed with the computer today, and he couldn't get it to stay on either. He downloaded Mozilla Firefox and Safari to see what would happen with them, and the flashplayer works fine, even after logging of and then back on. My problem is.....my husband is a big fan of AOL and has everything stored on it, and is just used to it. But, the flashplayer won't work on AOL or IE. So, I would appreciate any other advice, this is crazy...I cannot figure out for the life of me why it won't stay installed!! Thank you so much for trying to help, by the way :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if I'm understanding Firefox is working even after reboot? FF is alot more secure then IE and faster. As far as losing any info you can import IE's favorites into FF's bookmarks and therefor not lose any of those. I have both IE and Ff and I like Ff much better. After a couple of days of using it I find it has better features and upgrades faster.
As far as AOL, I will have to research that more but I believe the problem is well documented with Adobe. I will see if there is anyway to duplicate AOL's settings into FF but right now I don't think so. I know there is other flash players but I will have to find them for you. I will get back with you asap with hopefully good news. If a Tech does look this topic over they may very well have ideals that I have overlooked.

Advertisements

TALK32

TALK32

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah, I don't mind the firefox, aol is just simple for him to use and he just prefers it ( : thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome. I can understand simplicity alot. I have been looking for anything to say that FF and Aol can be merged in some manner but so far I'm not finding any way of doing it. I do not give up easily so hang in there.

Papakid

Papakid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, don't know if this will help, but I noticed last time I updated Flash that it now depends on what browser you are using as to which setup files you should download and install. I don't recall this to be the case previously and my collection of installers (I'm a packrat that keeps everything) doesn't indicate this to be the case either.

I just ran a quick test and see that the download page I use will detect which browser you use, so you should have gotten the right one--but it sounds like you have the Flash plugin for Firefox and not for IE. I got an error when going to the Adobe Flash download site listed by rshaffer61 in post #6, so I used a bookmark that redirects me to this page:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

When you go to that page while using IE, does it say:

Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87
Windows, Internet Explorer

or something else?

If not, (or you might try this even if it does), click on Different operating system or browser?, select your operating system and then select Flash Player 10 for Windows Internet Explorer. When you click Agree and install now, the name of the setup file you are downloading should be install_flash_player_ax.exe. Compare that file name to the one you've been using and let us know if it's different.

Just FYI, when navigating to the same page using Firefox, the description on the page I linked to is as follows:

Adobe Flash Player version 10.0.22.87
Windows | 1.8MB

Different operating system or browser?

Browser: Firefox, Safari, Opera

The name of this setup file is install_flash_player.exe

Before you try this, go thru the uninstall routine and then use the uninstaller, reboot and then try installing using the install_flash_player_ax.exe setup file. I believe you may also need to have ActiveX enabled in IE for this to work as well. Also if you have the information bar still enabled, you will have to allow the ActiveX to download and install as well--personally I hate these online installers as I'm still on dialup.

As far as AOL, which I've never used, the system requirements for Flash list only AOL 9 as supported, so it could be that, if you have an earlier version, you'll have to get 9 for it to work. With luck, all you will need is the IE plugin.

One other possibility I can think of is that you have some security program installed that blocks Flash or Flash ads. For example, you have the option of blocking Flash with SpywareBlaster, but it isn't done by default.

Hope this helps.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The wrong link could be as I use Firefox and not IE. Kinda strange though as I just linked the page and not the file. If I did then I apologize as it wasn't my intention. :)

Papakid

Papakid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
rshaffer61, there really is no need for an apology, especially to me. I did not intend to imply that you intended anything wrong. I do think there is still a misunderstanding here, as I also used Firefox (my default) to visit these links originally. I only used IE to test if the download page will change depending on which browser is used, which it does.

The main point is that Adobe has changed and made this more complicated than it used to be. One change has resulted in us having outdated links. When I click on the following url that you provided, I get an Adobe 404 page:
http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer"
But maybe it is just on my end as I use Firefox 2.x still.

The url I have in my bookmarks is outdated as well:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
That is actually pointing to a shockwave download page, even tho I had renamed the bookmark to Adobe Download Center, but when I click it I get redirected to the following page that I linked to earlier:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Let's call this last link the Flash Player Download Page (FPDP). I did not link to any files either. What i am saying is, if you use Firefox to go to the FPDP, then the following file will be offered for you to download:

install_flash_player.exe

If you use IE to go to the FPDP, this file will only be offered to download:

install_flash_player_ax.exe

I enjoy simplicity as well--it is Adobe that has changed to make things more complicated.

rshaffer61, it looks to me that the help you give in general is pretty solid.

Speaking of Shockwave, I forgot to post last time that this is something else to try. It is not real clear to me what the difference is, but Shockwave is a Flash engine that is system wide so that you don't have to worry what browser you use. What they call Flash Players seem to be browser plugins. Someone with more knowledge than me might expand on this. But, TALK32, I suggest installing Shockwave as well so that you have all of the Flash related files installed. You can get it here:
http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/