Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless printing

• Please log in to reply

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Most articles I see refer to hard wiring the printer to a workstation and then sharing the printer. I would like to get rid of my old desktop and replace it with a laptop. I already have a wireless laptop on my network and would like a second. I have a linksys router and a HP 5550 printer that connects with a USB cable. The router has 4 available RJ45 ports.

What would I have to do to be able to remove the printer from my desktop machine and make it available to anyone on the wireless network?

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
You can buy wireless print server adapters, you can also buy wired USB printer servers. Most of the wireless ones can ALSO do wired function:

http://www.newegg.co...ksys-_-33124198

Here is an example of one. Make sure the device can support the encryption you use on yoru network.

DanielOz46

DanielOz46

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks, is that an additional "server" that is connected to my router or does that replace my current router? Does my printer have to be a wireless printer? Or does the printer I have attach to that? I've been hearing all kinds of nightmares about setting up all kinds of things only to find that additional equipment must be purchased. I was kind of hoping to keep the cost to a minimum and just add something to my current setup.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello DanielOz46

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas

I believe you can just hook your printer up to that they connect it to your wireless router.

st0ll3n

st0ll3n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dan, I work with this on a daily basis, I'm in the copier buisiness.

My recomendation: a usb print server

You may go to fry's website, pretty explanitory, and shop for a Airlink AMPS230 print server. This print server sells for about 10 bucks... You may also check a little more spendy(60$us) one made by Netgear it is a ps-101 I like this one because it is very small, and you just plug it into your router(no wireless-which is better anyways) it also has a web interface that is quite handy for configuring it.

since you are already on usb I won't go into the parellel setups. I know the Airlink will work with multi-function print setups(scan print fax scan to email) I am not sure about the Netgear one. A little bit of weighing on price vs functions on both.

hope it helps

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Hel St0ll3n thanks ofr the advice. I know a lot of these adapters won't handle MFP's very well, so thanks for the heads up. Also, I have heard the same as well, wired to the router is MUCH better than wireless.

st0ll3n

st0ll3n

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes I have found such too Pedro.

the Mfp setup on the Airlink adaptor is great, but I do want to point out that it is only 10 bucks, and you have to buy it in the store if I remember correctly, i don't think that one was available online as far as at fry's, now that I think back.. but i'm sure you can buy one elsewhere, we have fry's in portland and I go there often for work, so I tend to keep my eyes out. :)

ttyl sorry for the bump, thought it might be helpfull to the original poster also.