Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway dead motherboard, need to replace

• Please log in to reply

roll

roll

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi! :)

First, I would like to say that this is a great forum. I just love when people help each other instead of asking money for everything.

So, about my problem.

I had this computer:
http://support.gatew...52/6152nv.shtml (no floppy port tho)

And like many other people, when turning on the PC, the fan works but it shoes no display!
I really think it was programmed to stop working after a given time...

I read that it was a motherboard problem.

So, I need to replace it.

However, finding the same motherboard is near impossible.

I like the design of the box, but it's BTX.

Should I buy a ATX motherboard with an AMD Athlon 2X 939 socket to be able to use my processor, and change the box, or try to find a BTX mobo but change the processor to an Intel, and maybe switch to DDR2?

Also, what Power Suply do you advise me to take? I brough a MIOS power supply, is it a good model?

I would like your opinion for this.

Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Roll,

First word of advice, since you want to upgrade mb and ps with new cpu and memory....Spend the extra money and get a new case. Your system might as well be new all the way and cases are not that much anymore depending on what you want.
Second, let me see if we can actually say the mb is bad. Now for all the questions

When you turn the system on does the following happen or not
Dvd cdrom drive light up
hd spins up
led's on the front of the case light up
Inside the case
does the fan on the cpu keep going
if there is a second fan inside the case does it keep turning
And the biggie, when you turn it on does the fan in the power supply keep turning or does everything shut off immediatly

I'll wait for your reply

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 April 2009 - 06:01 PM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
As for the PSU it sound like it isn't good at all. It isn't even UL listed, which is the first warning sign. Second I see MANY reports of it being VERY light. A second bad sign.

A comment on a 500W MIOS:

...it wasnt powerful enough to run his m8s pc and that was a athlon64 3200+ single core with a 7600gs 512 of ram and a 320gb h/d so it was given to him as his pc is older and running on a athlon xp cpu...

That means it can't handle anywhere NEAR 500W PERIOD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
New systems now are being built with 500 watt min unless they are cost effective to go to a 300. I personally do not recommend anything less then a 500 watt.
Depending on your budget I would start with a barebones system and build off that.
That would include
Case, mb, cpu, fan, ps, memory
From your description I believe your power supply is dead. A easy way to check is to see if you can borrow a ps from someone and hook it up. Only hook up mb, fans, hd
plug in kb,mouse, and monitor
bootup
If the system starts then it is the ps, if not then it would prob be a combination of mb and ps

roll

roll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your answers!

About the power supply I brough (MIOS) , when I take it in my hand and I take another power supply in my other hand, the MIOS is indeed very light.
I think I should not use it.

I really think the motherboard is dead because normally, when I turn on the PC, the fan makes noise for a few seconds then stops and load the BIOS, but now the fan doesn't stop and the BIOS isn't loading, there is no display at all.

So, about the hardware, I can keep the memory from the PC (2 DDR Henix 512, 184pin) and the processor, which is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor 3800+ but with a new case and ATX 939 socket motherboard, or, keep the BTX case but with an intel motherboard and change the processor for an intel (because BTX AMD 939 motherboards are very rare).

Which of those 2 options should I choose, and which brands and models would you reccomand me to buy then?

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention that for option 2, I have to buy a new motherboard.

Edited by roll, 10 April 2009 - 05:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you change the processor to a Intel then the motherboard is not going to work. As you said you have a AMD processor now on the motherboard. Intel and Amd will not interchange on a motherboard.
The motherboard is specifically made for either a AMD or a Intel.
If it were me I would buy a new case with a new psu. I'm believing you want at least a 500 watt psu. Take a look at this Case and 500 watt psu
or you could go like this
Just Cases without psu
and buy a psu like 500 Watt Power Supplies