Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which is better.....

• Please log in to reply

Clinetyme

Clinetyme

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a P4 3.0 gig, and i also have a AMD 64 Athlon x2......i need to know which one will be faster and better for gaming... NOTE: both will have 4 gigs of Kingston ram and a good video card, 500 gig hard drive.....thx

Advertisements

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...it is my understanding that for gaming, CPU speed is not as important as graphics processing speed. In other words, a top-of-the-line graphics card will have a greater impact on game performance than a top-of-the-line CPU. That is not to say that the CPU speed is not important. Is your 3 GHz P4 dual-core or single-core? And which Athlon X2 do you have? If your P4 is not a dual-core, even though a 3 GHz processor is no slouch, the dual-core Athlon X2 (or a dual-core Intel, for that matter) will blow it away. And this is not that old Intel vs AMD thing; it's a single-core vs dual-core thing. Pretty much any dual-core CPU will run rings around a single-core in terms of overall processing speed...

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello! Is your Intel Pentium 4 equipped with Hyper-Threading Technology? The good thing about hyper-threading technology is that even though the computer has one physical processor, it sees two virtual processors. This helps to do multiple tasks at once.

AMD X2 was made for gaming. Intel Pentium 4 was made more for the Intermediate computer user.

Good luck, friend!

Clinetyme

Clinetyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
well...CPU speed has alot to do w/ it also...most of my games call for a dual core but my pent 4 runs them (single core)...altho sometimes i get a little glitch here and there. By far the most important thing is the graphics card. I have the DIAMOND ATI Radeon HD 4890 XOC PCIE 1024MB GDDR5. I bought a Dell from my buddy and it has the AMD 64 Athlon x2 in it....i didnt switched over the hardware ( Graphics card, ram etc...) yet because im not real educated w/ the dual core...just wanted to make sure that it was faster than my pent 4. One of these computers is going to my wife (shes running a pent4 1.8 gig)...u can pretty much guess which one shes getting now....lol....thx for the help. :)

Clinetyme

Clinetyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yes the pent 4 has hyper threading, and ive noticed when i did a system diag it showed 2 processors...its been a really good computer...that pent 4 3.0 gig (single core) can really fly....but its time to get the upgrade done....thx for ur help

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
What games do you run?