Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore not included

• Please log in to reply

lfethe3rd

lfethe3rd

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello all, I recently have had a virus and unfortunally my system was fubar so i had to have my hard drive formated So I lost all my personal data. To try and make this from happening in the future one of the things I am doing is using system restore more often. I do not have a windows xp disk this is a used computer i bought from a local computer place. Thankfully this place was more than happy to format and reinstall xp for no charge to me. However now i cant find system restore. My system information says windows xp sp3. My question is this is it possible that i dont have system restore on my system? Are there versions of xp that dont include it? If so is there a way I can get it?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore
It's not there?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go Start -> Run -> msconfig
Click on "System Restore" to launch it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Although system restore can be quite useful for things such as a program install gone bad, it is not the answer to saving your data.

You should implement a data back up procedure. This can be saving it to a flash disk, external USB hard drive, burning to CD, uploading to a web data storage location, or another drive in the computer (if a desktop).

lfethe3rd

lfethe3rd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i tried to run it from msconfig it cannot find the file specified. I also did a search for it and found nothing I included system and hidden folders.
System restore isnt listed under system tools.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Check here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairsr.htm