Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mup.sys

• Please log in to reply

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah that error has happened, and i need help with it. here are 5 shot questions, and i am not typing it from my computer btw, and sorry about spelling but i a using a cheap usb keyboard cause i am on my ps3 and it smtimes misses out keys.
1. Is there a way to fix it without the xp disk
2. Will i lose my data if i repair it using the xp disk
3. where can i get a xp disk from
4. What are people saying about removing the usb things
5. I know its to do with SP2, but i need to install it right, so how do i prevent it from happening again
Thanks for your help alot, and i have search through your topics, but i am not a techono wizard, and need some no nonsence answers thgat i can not really find. Thanks a million and 2, stealth

Advertisements

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Try to do these steps to recover this error:

>Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
>At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery Console.
>At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ren c:windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys mup.old
>At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
expand <cd-romdrive>:\i386\mup.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys
>After the file is successfully expanded, type exit, and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
>Restart the computer.

Edited by smith134, 10 April 2009 - 03:21 AM.

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have no xp disk., unless you count microsoft office XD. When i get one tho, and does anyone know where frommay i add, i will do what you say, will i lose all my data tho,

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo,

My name is Cbarnard I hope I may be of some assistance to you.

Please keep in mind this is not our job and I'm not here 24\7. It can take a little bit of time for me to reply back to you,
if it has been more than 48hrs since a reply, please PM me and I will be with you as soon as possible.

With that said lets take a look and get this problem taken care of.

Yeah that error has happened, and i need help with it. here are 5 shot questions, and i am not typing it from my computer btw, and sorry about spelling but i a using a cheap usb keyboard cause i am on my ps3 and it smtimes misses out keys.
1. Is there a way to fix it without the xp disk
2. Will i lose my data if i repair it using the xp disk
3. where can i get a xp disk from
4. What are people saying about removing the usb things
5. I know its to do with SP2, but i need to install it right, so how do i prevent it from happening again
Thanks for your help alot, and i have search through your topics, but i am not a techono wizard, and need some no nonsence answers thgat i can not really find. Thanks a million and 2, stealth

I'm going to need some information to better assist you:

If this is a retail computer for example (Dell, HP, Acer):

Brand and model of the computer?

Size of your Hard drive (HDD) and how much space is available?

Any upgrades that have been performed?

Any new software that has been installed just prior to the problem?

If this is a custom built computer:

The brand and model of the motherboard (MOBO)

The brand and model of the CPU

The size of your HDD and remaining space available what type of interface are they? (IDE = wide ribbon like wire
about 2 inches in width) (Sata = wire that is a little larger than a phone line)

The amount of RAM and speed of the RAM (are all the RAM modules the same?)

How many CD\DVD rom devices you have, what type of interface are they?

Brand and wattage of the power supply (PSU)

If you use video cards how many what brand and model are they?

If you use a sound card what brand and model?

What software you have installed just prior to your problems?

Also in your description of what your operating system is could you please remove (G******it)
I understand this may not be a problem for you, but this is a family friendly site and is a violation of the Terms of Use

Please reply back with this information, and I will get back to you on what the next move will be.

Thank you, and good luck

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 10 April 2009 - 07:04 AM.

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
k then m8, as for the computer
Brand and model of the computer? Times computer, i have no idea about the model
Size of your Hard drive (HDD) and how much space is available? I can not tell you how much left, but i think its 160 or 320 gig, its arund 6 years old
Any upgrades that have been performed? Not really not recently no, about 2 months ago
Any new software that has been installed just prior to the problem Yes,i just updated avast anti virus, i left it installing, but when i got back the computer had shutdown and was resettinjg itself, i will add that i think my kernal ? was broke said someone, and the computer would randomly reset itself.
So yeah i can not elp you anymore than that mate, but thanks for your help anyway

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The main reasons for this Windows XP or Win 2000 boot hang or alleged mup.sys issue are:

* Hard disk failure or corruption
* A corrupted registry or registry hive
* New hardware has been installed but not did not completely "Register or re-Register" correctly
* New hardware has been installed but it is faulty or failing
* The new hardware's driver or windows itself has been compromised (Disk data corruption or by a virus) or (rare) needs to be updated
* The power supply is marginal in output or failing (Common per user feedback)
* BIOS\ESCD\Motherboard chipset driver conflict with a component, its driver, or its registry data
* Existing hardware including the motherboard may have failed in a specific way but not catastrophically.

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the hd could be corrupted ifnsuden turning of or resetting can do it, so i am going to go with that one, now how do i fix it without a windows xp disk lol, thats the hard part

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

the hd could be corrupted ifnsuden turning of or resetting can do it, so i am going to go with that one, now how do i fix it without a windows xp disk lol, thats the hard part

There is a process we need to take it is called troubleshooting.

It allows us to check the obvious and easier possibilities for the problem...

Please remove every connection to the computer except:

Video output
keyboard
mouse (as long as it is a PS/2)

every other port should be empty, this is important.

Now try and reboot

Thank you for your edit on the previous matter from above :)

Reply back and let me know what happens

Edited by cbarnard, 10 April 2009 - 07:06 AM.

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
monitor, my mouse is a belkan usb,and mykeyboard a microsoft usb, so no mouse right. Now i have been searching and i may have found amajor thing. My bios have been messed up i think, but i am not sure, i never mess with mybios or go in there, but the first boot methord was floppy, and i have no floppy, then cd then Hd, so i changed it to hd cd floppy with noluck, but could i be onto something here. And i am trying the computer now, wish me luck

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

my mouse is a belkan usb,and mykeyboard a microsoft usb, so no mouse right

Ok I'm sorry I forgot to take in to account the usb keyboard

A possible problem is the usb peripherals... Is there a way for you to get, borrow a PS/2 keyboard and mouse?

and then try a reboot.

My bios have been messed up i think, but i am not sure, i never mess with mybios or go in there, but the first boot methord was floppy, and i have no floppy, then cd then Hd, so i changed it to hd cd floppy with noluck, but could i be onto something here.

While the bios may be set wrong, that is not likely the problem, if the bios doesn't get a response from the floppy it just moves to the CD then the HDD. But it is ok to set the boot sequence to CD\DVD then HDD

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 10 April 2009 - 07:13 AM.

Advertisements

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
not really no, i tryed unplugging everything but my keyboard,and i tryed diffrent ports, but no luckfor that. I think it could be due to my computer randomly resetting itself, someone said the kernal was broke if that helps. And a typing setting and my bios virus checker are turned off if that helps

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

I think it could be due to my computer randomly resetting itself,

lets check this out,

Do all your fans power on when you boot up?

Check all internal connections to all peripheral items, ground yourself to the case with your hand and maintain the ground while working in the case.

If you have more than 1 module of Ram please remove all but one, and then make sure the one module is seated properly in the DIMM.

Try this please let me know how this works

Cbarnard

Iwishihadusedubantu

Iwishihadusedubantu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
my computer is just never been editied, i donot think it has more than 1 ram, but i tryed without anything, but i could only find a ps/2 adaptor for mous =(, but i do not think it is that, i think it is the fact i downloaded adobe cs4 ps trial yesterday, i have foubnd my windows key, but i still need a windows disk. I have removed everything, nothing. All my fans are working yeah, so really i am stumped. And is the BIOS anti virus default on or off generally,because mine is off and i have not touched it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The bios is not the issue. The error you are getting is most likely due to a problem with XP.
Being that you said " i downloaded adobe cs4 ps trial yesterday" could be the problem.
If you can borrow a XP disc of the same kind you have installed. Home Edition or Pro Edition, then it is possible to do a repair installation.
Cbarnard you may even try to download recovery console and have the OP try to expand the mup.sys file from the I386 folder in his Windows directory.
I apologize for stepping in but I honestly don't think it's a hardware issue. Did the system work fine before installing the cs4 yesterday?

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 08:20 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

my computer is just never been editied, i donot think it has more than 1 ram, but i tryed without anything, but i could only find a ps/2 adaptor for mous =(, but i do not think it is that, i think it is the fact i downloaded adobe cs4 ps trial yesterday, i have foubnd my windows key, but i still need a windows disk. I have removed everything, nothing. All my fans are working yeah, so really i am stumped. And is the BIOS anti virus default on or off generally,because mine is off and i have not touched it.

If you have an adapter for ps\2 please use it, But please put it on the keyboard and navigate with out the mouse attached.

There are about 12 known issues to cause this problem. If this doesn't work:

Did you remove the 1 stick of ram? if not please remove it and place it back in making sure it is seated securely. If that doesn't work, we will have to boot into safe mode...

The first step involved in using Safe Mode is entering it.

1. Press F8 during boot to enter the Windows startup menu. This should work on all versions of Windows except NT. (Windows 98, ME, 2000, and XP).

If safe mode screen boots up , select safe mode

if that loads

2. From Device Manager,(Press windows button and pause break) disable the drivers for the following devices (if present) using the Device Usage options from the properties of that device.
* Display Adapters
* Floppy Disk Controllers
* Hard Disk Controllers
* Keyboard
* Mouse
* Network Adapters
* PCMCIA Socket
* Ports
* SCSI Controllers
* Sound, Video, and Game Controllers
3. Reboot the computer into normal mode.

Did this work?

Cbarnard

Edited by cbarnard, 10 April 2009 - 09:01 AM.