Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen After Windows Restart

• Please log in to reply

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

Hoping you can help - I have been working to resolve malware issues http://www.geekstogo...ut-t234127.html which are now resolved thanks to one of your helpers. There is one remaining issue however they do not believe is related to malware, and your helper has asked me to create a topic in this forum for further help

Every time I select 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Restart' the computer powers off, starts up, gets past the Ipex manufacturer screen, the screen then goes black then dark grey/black and stays there with no cursor etc. Like windows doesn't want to start. 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off' always works and boot up always works

I would appreciate any suggestions you could give to help me resolve this problem
Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you. First question is can you get to the boot opttions screen and select Safe Mode?

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rschaffer61,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry was not sure what info would be needed. I hope my answers below are what you were looking for

I purchased the computer second hand around a month ago, not sure of its actual age and assuming it is a brand name system. The restart issue only seems to have appeared in the last two weeks at the same time as my malware issues, and my attempts to fix them using various reg cleaners and other tools.

Make - Ipex T.T.L
Model - Tappen Series
Operating System - Windows XP SP3 (upgraded from SP2 today)
Age of the computer - Unsure as above
Memory Total - 1024MB RAM
Hard Drive Size, How much free space - Capacity 74.5GB free 64.3GB

I obtained this information from a PC Pitstop scan - more info is available from this report http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=21979004 on the purple buttons near the top middle of the page. Info from the system specs button I have pasted below

In response to your question 'Can you get to the boot options screen and select Safe Mode?' the answer is Yes I can boot into safe mode - 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off' always works, and then turning the computer back on again using the power button always works, whether I have set msconfig to boot normally or into safe mode, however 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Restart' will not bring the computer back up in normal or safe mode

Just tried turning off then booting and tapping F8 every second to get into safe mode, the screen to select the boot option did appear. Booted windows normally then tried a restart and tapping F8 every second, couldn't get this boot options screen to appear - I got the black screen then dark grey/black screen, and about 5-10 seconds later the F8 tapping started to make a beeping sound

If there is anything else you need to know please let me know, if you can tell me how to obtain the info as well in case I am not sure that would be great

Thanks for your help

PC Pitstop Active X Build 202
Browser MSIE 7.0
System OS Windows XP Pro SP2
System OS Install Date 3/7/2009 1:17:22 PM
System Make Ipex I.T.G.
System Model Tappen series
System Serial Number I1121618
Main Board Make Intel Corporation
Main Board Model D945GTP
Main Board Version AAC97844-304
Main Board BIOS Intel Corp. Default System BIOS INTEL - dc8 20060208
Processor Description Intel Celeron
Number of Processors 1
Processor Clock Speed 2800 Mhz
Graphics Description RADEON X300 Series
Memory Installed 1024 MBs
Memory Slots 4 slots
Memory Configuration 512+512;DIMM Synchronous
Drive Name ©
Drive Size © 76308 MBs
Drive Format © NTFS
DVD-RW Model PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
DVD-RW Read Speed 11080 KB/sec (63X)
DVD-RW Write Speed 11080 KB/sec (63X)
Monitor Model DEC 24454
Monitor Resolution 1600 x 1200 pixels
Monitor Screen Size 10.9 x 8.2 inches
13.6 inches (diagonal)
Monitor Manufacture Date September 1998
Monitor Serial Number 8918

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if I'm understanding everything was working yesterday till you installed SP3?
Now you can't get the system to load into normal mode since?
Try rebooting, tap on F8 at the second post screen which should be the splash screen you mentioned.
Try choosing
Last Known Good Configuration
Do you have original Xp disc with registration number?
Is the disc a update or full version..This is very important for me to know

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rschaffer61,

I think I have confused you, my apologies.
The issue with restarting has been a problem for around 2 weeks (since malware issues started appearing that were resolved on my other topic) and so is not related to the XP SP3 upgrade I did today from the microsoft website

The system loads into both normal and safe modes fine every time BUT only if you select 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off' and then press the power button to turn it back on again

The problem lies within the windows restart function, as when you select 'Start > Turn Off Computer > Restart' the computer will turn off but not make it back up again whether you are booting into safe mode or not, and you can not get the boot options menu using F8 when restarting in this way

My windows copy is genuine, I have the product key but no install disk. I don't have any system restore points from before today as they were infected with malware and had to be cleared

Hopefully that makes more sense, if not please let me know I will be happy to clarify further
Thanks for your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"My windows copy is genuine, I have the product key but no install disk."

Not sure this makes sense. You have a windows disk and a key but no install disk. What I'm looking for is the windows xp cd that should have come with your system or that you have purchased

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rschaffer61,

Thanks for your reply.
The second-hand retailer I purchased the PC from loaded an acronis image onto the PC and activated windows using the product key on a sticker on the PC but did not give me a windows xp pro install disk - hopefully that clarifies the situation

Given though that the issue is not related to the SP3 install, that my system restore points have been cleared and that this issue only occurs using restart and not for all boot-ups, is this required? If so, is there another method I could use to retrieve the original files or to boot windows etc. that the CD would be required for? Something like what happened in this post maybe
http://www.geekstogo...ll-t183202.html

I don't have a floppy drive but do have a USB drive and 128MB USB key, but perhaps won't need this as I can get into windows through normal startup to make whatever change is required to windows boot files

Any further ideas appreciated
Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There is a way to do a repair installation on windows. All you would need do is get a xp cd the same as what you have, In your case it would be Pro
the cd makes no difference where it came from as only your registration number is unique.
Before we do that tho lets try repairing things with a few internal operations windows already has.
Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 12:44 PM.

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thanks for your reply

I entered Start > Run > chkdsk /f, it brought up a command prompt but said the C drive is in use, do you want to schedule this for the next reboot. I said Yes then turned the PC off and back on. When booting up the check disk ran

I watched it go through 3 stages - verifying files, verifying indexes, verifying security descriptors. No errors appeared with this. After stage 3 finished, it flashed up some more info for a split second, from what I saw of this it looked to include the storage capacity and usage on the C drive, there was some other text but I did not get to read it.

The system then rebooted itself (is that what was suppoed to happen?), and the startup hung. Turned the PC off and on, booted fine, but no sign of any log or anything on the result of the check disk

Tried setting /BOOTLOG and /SOS to be active in msconfig under the BOOT.INI tab from researching possible solutions to my problem, when restarting I got the same black screen and no other info that /SOS is supposed to show.

Turned off and turned on - after the point where the restart gets stuck I did get information from /SOS and a message about bootlog being enabled as well, can't find exactly where the bootlog.txt file is (have checked C:/WINDOWS, C:/WINDOWS/system and C:/WINDOWS/system32 with hidden files and proected operating system files unhidden) but this would probably not help as the restart does not seem to get this far

So does that mean check disk did not work, and if so are there other options I could try without the CD?

Appreciate your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes check disk did what it was suppose to, it does not give a log
now to try another version of checkdsk

Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r note the space between k and /
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem
This test a few more areas and will take longer to complete
If this doesn't do it we may have to run sfc /scannow
But lets see if this run of chkdsk finds anything

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 10:21 PM.

Advertisements

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rschaffer61,

Thanks for your reply

I ran chkdsk /r successfully, after it finished it restarted the PC again and it still hung. When powering off and on I got a message telling me windows has finished checking the disk and the volume is clean.

I ran sfc /scannow, I kept having to select cancel on prompts to insert the windows XP pro install CD (around 300 times) and when restarting after this the same issue occurred. Is it worth trying some of the steps in this link to run this command without the CD? http://www.geekstogo...ow-t183629.html

I also note it is now taking longer to boot after turning the PC off - this is now sitting at the same black screen for about a minute in both normal and safe modes, previously the entire boot process would take only 30 seconds. Seems to have started in the last couple of days, I thought this may have been due to completing new software installs or config changes that ask you to restart or maybe due to extra services and startup programs but it is happening every time and in safe mode as well

Any further ideas appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!
Let me know how everything works after you are done

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

Thanks for your reply

Managed to perform the registry change without issue. Turned off and on then ran sfc /scannow, this time it completed without once asking for the CD. I noticed last time I ran sfc /scannow after the window showing progress finished the system was still slow so I opened task manager and noticed cmdagent was still using resource but this closed after a short time. This time the same thing but it hung around for much longer, perhaps updating corrupt files

Given this I was hopeful but unfortunately when turning off and on I experienced the same delay, and then when restarting it hung again

I have reset the registry entry (though have not rebooted yet), happy to change back if required

I was thinking the slow startup times may have started from when I installed XP SP3, I could try uninstalling to address this (it is listed in add/remove programs), is this worth a try?

The SP3 install appeared to fix an issue with not being able to change the screen resolution (see my malware topic link in my first post), this may be fixed still after uninstalling but if not is there an install file for this windows will keep (I installed it from Internet Explorer > Tools > Windows Update) or should I just download it again?

I can try the retailer and at work to see whether I can get a Windows XP Install CD, but if I can't or I can and this does not help is there anything further that I could try? The thing that seems odd is that normal boot works but restart doesn't, I have found a lot of posts with the black screen issue but not where is it isolated to restart, does that give you any clue as to what may be wrong?

Is there a possible software conflict, bios setting, hardware issue (had to have a video card added a couple of weeks ago as the one the PC came with died), driver issue? (had been messing around with drivers trying to fix the screen resolution issue) Is there any way to debug and see how far it is getting?

Just trying to give as much info as I can
Thanks for your assistance

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have reset the registry entry (though have not rebooted yet), happy to change back if required
Please set registry back as this may recreate past problems

I was thinking the slow startup times may have started from when I installed XP SP3, I could try uninstalling to address this (it is listed in add/remove programs), is this worth a try?
Before uninstalling SP3 Again, let's take a look at your startup items

Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

The SP3 install appeared to fix an issue with not being able to change the screen resolution (see my malware topic link in my first post), this may be fixed still after uninstalling but if not is there an install file for this windows will keep (I installed it from Internet Explorer > Tools > Windows Update) or should I just download it again?

Is the resolution problem back again and thats why you are asking this?

I can try the retailer and at work to see whether I can get a Windows XP Install CD, but if I can't or I can and this does not help is there anything further that I could try? The thing that seems odd is that normal boot works but restart doesn't, I have found a lot of posts with the black screen issue but not where is it isolated to restart, does that give you any clue as to what may be wrong?

I am taking it then you do not have a win xp cd? Do you have a registration number for your XP then?
Can you click on links yet? This would help run some other programs we could use to help diagnose the problem

Is there a possible software conflict, bios setting, hardware issue (had to have a video card added a couple of weeks ago as the one the PC came with died), driver issue? (had been messing around with drivers trying to fix the screen resolution issue) Is there any way to debug and see how far it is getting?

If this is a driver issue then one of the programs I stated above would help to find this problem.
Software hopefully we will find something in the startup area of msconfig that is causing it. If not we can try this:

Please click on
Start>>Run>>Type in msconfig>>>press enter
Now click on Services
Click on Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

I await your reply with all of the above requested information

Please only do one fix at a time and post reply for it. this way we can narrow down the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 April 2009 - 08:25 AM.

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi rschaffer61,

Thanks for your speedy reply

The registry entry for SourcePath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup has now been reset back to the D:/ it was set to originally before we changed it to C:/ to read the files from there instead of the windows xp install CD (as I do not have one), and I have rebooted to apply this

I have the same problems with the delayed startup when turning the PC on and with windows restart hanging at a black screen whether I am booting to normal or safe mode so I think this eliminates startup programs and services as being the cause. To be sure I disabled both (in services I selected 'disable all' which removed all except the 3 services with Yes in the essential column) and turned the computer off and on, still had the delay.

I then received a message that because there have been significant hardware changes windows needs to be reactivated in the next 3 days. I have not made any hardware changes, presumably this appeared due to the startup programs and services changes or maybe from the chkdsk's or sfc /scannow we ran

I then restarted the computer, this hung again so I shutdown and powered on, received the activation message again, restored startup programs and services, powered off and on, got the message again, then reactivated windows successfully

Resolution changes are working fine, just asking about this because it seemed that the XP SP3 install fixed this and therefore if uninstalling this to try and fix the startup delay I would like to be able to install it again in case the issue does reappear, and preferably without needing to do the download again from the microsoft website - if not possible then I can just download it again

You are correct I do not have a windows XP install CD (refer earlier post below)

The second-hand retailer I purchased the PC from loaded an acronis image onto the PC and activated windows using the product key on a sticker on the PC but did not give me a windows xp pro install disk - hopefully that clarifies the situation

I do have a product key (5 groups of 5 letters/numbers - is this what you mean by registration number?) from the sticker on the PC. Clicking links has never been an issue - not sure why you thought this was the case. So if there are other programs we could use to help diagnose the problem please advise the details and I will run through them

Thanks for persisting with this issue, I appreciate your assistance