Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black Screen After Windows Restart

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...your bios wording may be different but turning off the logo should do the trick

Edited by happyrock, 14 April 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

I have had some success following your latest suggestions :)

I went looking for the BIOS Full Screen Logo setting, went through all the menus, but could not see anything similar to this. I looked at happyrock's third screen shot though and saw it was initialising all the disk drives - hard drive, CD/DVD, USB. I decided to try unplugging all of my devices (keyboard, USB mouse, USB mobile phone connector, USB iPod connector, USB for file storage and USB mobile broadband internet key modem) and restart and it worked!! :) :)

So I put everything back in and left the USB mobile broadband internet key modem out to start testing which device was the cause, restart still worked! Put the USB mobile broadband internet key modem back in, broke again! Did this test again in case it was a coincidence/fluke, same result!

That was late yesterday, didn't get a chance to further troubleshoot, this morning when my wife booted up (with all devices plugged in) the delay at the black screen was gone!! :) I have tested this evening (I am in Australia) and the delay at the black screen is still gone, when shutting down and booting and when restarting (with the USB mobile broadband internet key modem unplugged) as well! :no:

The only things I can think of that were done between the delay being there and being gone was using the safely remove hardware option to disconnect all the USB devices, taking them out and putting them back in, in the case of the USB mobile broadband internet key modem this was done a few times. I also swapped the USB ports used by a couple of devices as it was just easier to fit them in that way with the cords, size of device etc. and have left the USB mobile phone connector and USB iPod connector out for now. I have not tested to fully determine whether the unplugged devices or port swapping have just worked around the issue or it is now just somehow resolved

So that's all good news to fill you all in on the good results, thanks for your help in getting me to this point. I have left the recovery console, hard drive diagnostic and repair installation for now as I think I have been able to isolate the issue to an area where these will not help with the USB mobile broadband internet key modem being the issue

Next though I have been trying to get the restart to work with the USB mobile broadband internet key modem plugged in. I uninstalled my 3 Mobile Broadband application that uses it (or it uses) and reinstalled it again, also got windows to look for an updated driver in devmgmt.msc but it said it couldn't find a better match than the one I have. Restarted with the device plugged in, hung again

I have attached a screen from devmgmt.msc showing the device driver details, and a link below to the vendor page showing some info on the device as well, if you want to know or see anything else please let me know

I can just unplug the device if restarting then plug it back in but then before I could just shutdown and power on rather than restart so I am wondering if any one has any further suggestions on how to get the restart to work with the device plugged in?

I am going to try connecting all USB devices to their original ports to see if the black screen delay recurs, and upgrading the software on the USB mobile broadband internet key modem using the guide for my E160 device on the Technical Support tab from the link below, but I may be on the wrong track

Thanks again

http://www.three.com...=1221530697797#

Attached Thumbnails

• device.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the hang MAY be caused while windows is figuring out the IRQ assignments ...you might be reaching about the max on adding devices...

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

I have some more information from testing I have performed to try and isolate the cause of the restart hang

Which of the 6 USB ports used for a device does not appear to make any difference. The mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB mobile phone connector and USB for file storage can all be plugged in and booting will not delay, nor will restarting hang. However:

- When the USB iPod connector is plugged in, there will be a delay of approx 1 minute at the black screen, both when restarting and when shutting down and booting up

- When the USB mobile broadband internet key modem is plugged in, no impact is made on shutting down and booting up however restarting will hang

With regards to happyrock's last post - neither of these issues appear to be related to the number of devices plugged in - as long as that device is plugged in, doesn't matter what else is, the issue will occur.

I have gone to the manufacturer site for both to look for software/driver updates - the USB mobile broadband internet key modem software I have is the latest, the USB iPod connector software I have updated but no impact was made. I selected update driver for both devices in Device Manager (in the case of the USB mobile broadband internet key modem this appeared in 4 different categories) as well as all items in the USB controllers section but no updates were found

I noticed on the iPod site that "windows XP driver signing" can be corrupted by malware and cause issues in working with devices, is this a possibility at all? (I followed the recommendation on their site included below but this did not help - note I am not getting the error this page is suggesting troubleshooting steps for)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1207
Unregistered .dll files (Windows)
Malware or other software may cause an issue with the digital signing of Windows XP drivers. First try restoring the iPod using the latest version of iTunes.. If you are unable to restore it or the symptom reappears, follow the steps in this document.

Can anyone suggest anything further to try?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like you found the problem device...just don't plug it in until you have booted up OR live with the delay...

bugatronic25

bugatronic25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

sounds like you found the problem device...just don't plug it in until you have booted up OR live with the delay...

This is what I have been doing, looks like I might just have to continue with this. If I do come across an XP Install CD I will see if a repair installation helps. If any of you have any further ideas please let me know, else you can close the thread

Thanks to everyone for your time and effort for getting me to this point, I learnt a lot and it is good to know the devices are seemingly the cause and therefore have the workarounds available

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

doughahn56

doughahn56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Same exact problem on a Compaq N800v laptop system, specs here: http://h18000.www1.h.../11077_div.HTML
Shutdown works normally , startup works normally, reboot hangs everytime seconds after Compaq logo appears.
I am a tech working at a local PC shop and we are trying to repair this system for resale. It is a fresh install of XP Home with service pack 3 and all of the "express" windows updates installed. The hardrive is a Hitachi 40gig. Yesterday I started a fresh install on a toshiba 40 gig (as a test) and got as far as the second reboot before giving up, since the "no rebooting" problem was already happening. I have resized the partition using PQ magic to include a 10 gig freespace at the end of the drive. no effect. I have converted the partition to FAT32 from NTFS, no effect. I have run fixmbr and fixboot, no effect. there are no USB devices plugged in during restart. I dont see the point in a repair since the fresh install on the Hitachi drive was already hanging on reboot. I suspect some kind of ACPI issue so maybe today I will play with the F5 boot. I am going to keep posting until I resolve this issue so there will be a discoverable "fix" for the next poor soul that runs into this problem. All help is appreciated and will be replied to Thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: doughahn56

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.