Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device not recognised

• Please log in to reply

bushie

bushie

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have an annoying bubble that keeps popping up in the bottom r corner of my screen saying 'USB device not recognised' but I dont have anything pluged in to the usb ports.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to device manager, expand "universal serial bus controllers" and see if there is a driver for an unrecognized device. If yes, right click the device and uninstall the driver. reboot.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
The Skeptic seems on the right track on this one!

Two heads are better than one, right?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The skeptic usually is right

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I should warn you all that I'm not really computer literate...!
When I open my device manager and expand the USB controllers it reads:-

Intel®82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
Intel®82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
Intel®82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
Intel®82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
Unknown Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I have uninstalled the 'Unknown Device' and then rebooted but it was still there when I booted up again
Is this what I was supposed to do?
It doesent say its a driver and Im wondering if I misinterperted your instructions?
Still have the problem!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You did exactly what I asked. Please try again in safe mode. A short while ago I encountered this problm and had to perform this procedure a number of time until I cleaned it. I can't remember what exactly moved it off but it did, eventually. Please run your antivirus and Malwarebytes and report if there are any finds.

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK... now you are going over my head... LOL

How do I get into safe mode? and.. What are Malwarebytes??

Thank you for your help.

... And Happy Easter!!

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Does your system have a media card reader (one of those things where you can stick in different kinds of memory cards)?
If so, does it work? I've seen this issue with some because the drivers weren't recognized.

Also, you can likely determine information needed to identify the device by right clicking on it and selecting Properties.
Then click on the Details tab and select Hardware ID in the drop down box.

Once you get there, find the 4 characters after VID_ and the 4 characters after PID_ We'll need that to look the device up at this link: http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen this problem a number of times and had no problem fixing it by uninstalling the driver in device manager. In most cases the reason was a corruption of a driver of a device which didn't need a driver (ususally a pen drive). You just insert it and windows install it without the need for any special driver. The last case I had was a badly infected computer and I suspect that the corruption and inability to uninstall the driver was related to the infection. I only managed to uninstall the driver after several attempts and after a cleanup of the infections.

Usually you boot to safe mode by tapping the Delete or F2 key as soon as you start the computer. A menu with several boot options is shown. Choose to boot to Safe Mode and repeat the uninstallation procedure.

Malwarebytes is a powerful antispyware recommended by the malware forum of geeks to go. you can download it from the link to the malware forum in my list below. I strongly recommend it as standard protection (not automatic in the free version) for every computer.

Edited by The Skeptic, 12 April 2009 - 11:05 AM.

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well I ran the malwarebytes program and it found nothing.

I am having a problem trying to start my computer in safe mode, I tried tapping f2 and also tried again tapping delete but it didnt do anything.

My system doesnt have a media card reader, only usb ports.

When I bring up the Unknown device properties it has 'Device Instance' in the drop down box and in the box under it reads:-

USB\VID-0000&PID-0000\5&3A341374&0&2
When I select hardware Ids in the drop down box, the box underneath reads:-

USB UNKNOWN

Does this help??

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Nope, the 0000's after the VID and PID indicate that the device isn't recognized enough to reveal the correct characters.
The most common device that I could dredge up with a Google search is a "USB Dongle (Aladdin Knowledge Hardlock USB 1.02)"
Do you have one of these installed on your system?

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website: http://www.aladdin.com/default.aspx
Do you have any sort of security devices/encryption devices installed on the system (they may be hardwired to USB controllers inside of the case - so they don't need to be connected to the outside USB ports)?

Also, what's the exact make and model of your system? This'll help if this device came installed on the system (when we check for the specs).

Edited by usasma, 13 April 2009 - 07:25 PM.

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I dont have a usb dongle installed that I know of, I ran the windows serch to check and it come up with nothing.
How would I find out if I have any devices hardwired to the inside of the case? if I opened it I dont think I would know what Im looking for.
My computer is a IBM think center, The 'my computer' properties read:-

Microsoft windows xp
Professional
version 2002
service pack 3

pentium® 4 cpu 2.4GHz 2.39GHz, 768MB of Ram

was this the information you were looking for?

Please bear with me, I really dont know much about computers but thank you very much for helping!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To boot in safe mode tap the F8 key as soon as you start the computer until start options show up. Try to remove the driver and reboot. If that doesn't help reboot again in safe mode and remove all USB drivers in device manager. Reboot. You will have to reinstall items that need custom made drivers (printers, cameras etc.).

I made a mistake in a previous post. I instructed you how to boot to BIOS and not to safe mode.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
double post

Edited by The Skeptic, 14 April 2009 - 01:09 AM.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
There's a whole pile of Think Center's listed here: http://www-307.ibm.c...CTR-MATRIX.html

Is there a sticker on the computer with the model number? That'll help to figure out which one you have.