Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB device not recognised

• Please log in to reply

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Good news friends, I managed to get into safe mode and uninstalled all the drivers then rebooted and so far so good!
When I rebooted all the other drivers that were there came back again apart from the "unknown device" so I really hope this has solved my problem.

The information that was requested from me is:-

It is a IBM Think Center MT-M 8199-KML (My wife found another sticker I missed).

Thank - you to everyone that has helped me!!
I wouldn't be this happy without you!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello bushie

Positive results are always good to see :)

Even better is the fact that you taken the other minute ( probably more for you , due to the typing speed... ) to respond back to your thread and let us all know how it all went , Greatly appreciated

Thank you for your time

Anthony19

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
See this page: http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-51601

The Token Ring Adapters are most likely the device that is Unknown.
The Client Security Solution further down the page is likely to be needed also.

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry friends, it seems I have jumped the gun, when I booted up today that annoying bubble is back

What are token ring adapters?
Do I need to download the client security solution?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to Device Nanager > USB Human Interface Devices. Uninstall the driver plus the drivers that you uninstalled before. reboot.

Try to remember if you installed any USB device, even momentarily, after which the message showed up. In control panel go Add/Remove programs and uninstall any program that is related to a USB device. This can be a camera, webcam, scanner, printer, the lot. Reboot.

Edited by The Skeptic, 15 April 2009 - 12:04 AM.

bushie

bushie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
In my device manager I don't have any headings of USB human interface devices and I dont have anything installed that relates to the use of the USB ports.
I havent yet installed my printer or the pc cam that I brought and ever since I had to restore my pc to the factory settings(I wiped the hard drive entirely) I havent used the USB ports at all.
I noticed when I was looking for the human interface devices that the "unknown device" has returned to the USB controllers again.

Q. At what point should I give up and throw my PC out the window...??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. Download USBDeview (the link for the download is far down the page, above the last table). Read the instructions before you run it. This may help to find the problematic device and to remove it. I never tried the program myself.

Good luck.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After I wrote the previos post I downloaded and ran the program. looks like a smart tool.

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Scan you computer with Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Wizard . It will scans and find defective AutoPlay settings, and attempts to fix those it finds.
http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en