Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ipod freezes the computer when connected

• Please log in to reply

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Pip
  • 9 posts
We have 3 ipods in the house and the problem exists when any of them are connected. It doesn't seem to matter which USB is used on the computer (3 @ front, 2 @back). Upon plugin of ipod, the computer completely locks up in about 5 seconds. The only way out of it is to push power button. I've tried a million different things and still no fix. I even performed a full system recovery recently to put everything back to its original state. I should also mention that the freeze happens even if I'm not in itunes (which was removed and re-installed).

I have managed a way around it, but I'm looking for a proper fix.

To get around it.
1- Uninstall USB port
2- Plug ipod into USB port
3- Reinstall USB port
4- At this time it states something like (you've connected a high speed USB device to a non high speed port. Or something along those lines)
5- I'm able to load and charge ipod at this time, but upon disconnecting, the problem arises again.

Anything???
:)

Edited by tmlchris, 13 April 2009 - 06:30 AM.

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello there!

The Ipod's settings might be corrupted.

To reset this, please hold down the Menu button and the enter buttons at the same time for 10 seconds.

If the Apple Logo appears, see if it appears in iTunes when connected to the PC.

If the Apple Logo does not appear, then please connect it to the computer and let it charge for at least 20 minutes. Unplug it, and try to reset it again.

NOTE: This will not modify your files, or any songs. It only resets the settings. Sometimes if settings get damaged, the iPod may freeze or the computer may freeze.

Reference

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah. We have 3 ipods. 2 shuffles (2nd gen.), and 1 nano, and they all do the same thing. I can't reset the shuffles in that manner too. The only way to reset them is to have computer access.

Thanks

Anything else?

Edited by tmlchris, 13 April 2009 - 06:31 AM.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
What are the results?

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Still nothing. When I restored the shuffles, once they went to reboot, they froze the computer up again. I'm thinking that it's more of a USB issue, but they've been set back to factory settings when I did the computer recovery. I've edited post #1 step 4 (you've connected a high speed USB device to a non high speed port) Don' know if that suggests anything else.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please buy a PCI USB 2.0 drive. They cost little and are very effective. New devices are using faster technology. Unless you can verify you already have a USB 2.0 drive, then please get one. They can be found in many department stores that sell computer products. An example store, would be Walmart or Meijer.

How to install a PCI Device<<< Print these instructions if needed!

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 13 April 2009 - 08:17 AM.

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
All my USB drives are 2.0. I guess that I should have mentioned that I've been using the ipods for about 2 years now, and never a problem up until about a month ago.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Please update to a new version of iTunes if possible. Also please update the iPod by doing it on a different computer, if possible.

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm running iTunes 8 which is the newest version. I'll try and update my ipod's later in the week and get back.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
What firewall are you running?

What other security programs do you run?

Sometimes a firewall can cause issues with iTunes, and the iPod.

If you have an on-guard security system, like WinPatrol, or similar -- those can cause the iPod to only get limited access.

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm running my firewall, virus, and spyware through Rogers Online Protection. I tried connecting ipod with these disabled, and no change. Other than that, I'm not really running anything else that I can think of. Still haven't tried a different computer yet.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I do not like to bear bad news, but unfortunately we have ran out of options. Please contact Apple support, and I am sure they can assist you with this seriously technical issue. It has to be a corruption or some other problem with the USB controller. However, I do not want to jump to conclusions and just say to go and get a new USB controller.

This thread will still be open, so please let me know if things went okay with Apple Expert.

tmlchris

tmlchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, I kinda forgot that this thread was here. I managed to fix the problem with a windows update fix. I believe the problem was caused during the SP2 upgrade before, which is known to have some qwirky effects to other things sometimes.

Thanks

xocgx

xocgx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think I have the exact same issue. On VERY rare occassion (seems to correlate to whenever the ipod is almost out of battery power) I cna get things to synch, but generally as soon as I plug it in, the whole PC crashes. I just updated to SP3 for Windows XP, I have the latest OS on the iPod touch (i can synch at work) and the latest itunes.

To the OP, can you let me know which patch for Windows did the trick?