Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows live mail won't accept correct password

• Please log in to reply

terminallydoomed

terminallydoomed

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Howdy.

I recently changed my gmail password. On opening it up in the windows live mail client it asked me for my password, which I had expected. I typed in the correct password, but it wouldn't accept it, just bringing the entry box back up, and it has continued to do this since then.

What I have tried:
Checking the password is correct manually.
Changing the password back to the original password. Still won't accept it.
Deleting the account in windows live mail and setting it up again.
Switching from pop to imap.

Any ideas? I've posted this problem elsewhere and gotten no useful answers. It's really beginning to annoy me, and you guys have solved my problems before. :)

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Hello!

Let us try to enable IMAP on both the Client and Gmail itself. In Gmail, click the settings link, then the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. Choose Enable IMAP and click Save Changes. Change the Windows Client for IMAP.

Next, go in to the Windows Live Connection settings. Mail server is imap.gmail.com and the port number is 993

Make sure the SSL is checked. It requires Clear Text authentication. Outgoing settings are SMTP.gmail.com and the port number is 465. It requires a SSL and Authentication as well.

Note: sometimes, you must open a web browser and/or make sure you are connected to the internet to load Windows Live mail. It sometimes cannot connect properly due to Internet connection being closed. It is opened when you open a browser.

terminallydoomed

terminallydoomed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
That seems to have done the trick. I was initially receiving a new error about download the GoogleMail folder header, but I think I figured out how to fix that. Still never solved what the original problem was. I guess it'll remain a mystery.
Thanks for your help. :)

Edited by terminallydoomed, 10 April 2009 - 04:20 PM.

uktrousers

uktrousers

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Is there a way to get my gmail password ? tried all the regular stuff but have info missing, its open and saved in my PC but cannot change anything not even my secondery email.