Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Freezes At Random

• Please log in to reply

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Please help me out here...

I have a PC that works GREAT up until the point when it freezes RANDOMLY. When this happens I can't use the mouse or

keyboard and I have to reboot it manually by pressing reset on the tower. I updated all my drivers w/ PC Pitstop's Driver

Alert, I scanned for spyware to no avail w/ Max Secure Spyware Detecter and BitDefender, And I tried switching my RAM

sticks and restarting my PC using each one alone. None of this helped me figure out what the problem was. Then I read

online that System File Checker could help you figure out the problem, but I use SP3, w/ and the program requires windows

CD that has only SP2 on it, so I fear that if I were to run that program, I'd overwrite my SP3 files w/ my SP2 ones. That

leaves me in a dilemma because now I have no clue what the problem is, and now I'm stuck w/ a really good pc that just

freezes unexpectedly.

If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know how!

Here's my system specs...

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3 (5.1, Build 2600)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs) (I have two internal hard drives)
Memory: 3328MB RAM
Direct X Version: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT
G-Card Approx Memory: 512.0 MB

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you.

We will need some more information

Any software\hardware installed\updated or driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks, hopefully you can...it's rather inconvenient. :)

Hmmm...I think the last hardware updates that I "could've" installed just before this started was for my NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator and Realtek High Definition Audio. Other than that I can't remember any other than the updates that I did yesterday to my extra ethernet port, my Realtek High Definition Audio once again and my graphic card. As for software, I haven't really installed much software, and if so, I can't really name em off hand.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
It's ok to overwrite the SP3 files with the SP2 version if the file is corrupted. Try a sfc /scannow.

When does your computer freeze? When it's idle for around 10 min? Or is it completely random and unexpected.
Follow the steps entailed here: http://lifehacker.co...s-xp-031440.php
This once sorted out a problem like this I had with my computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may just want to uninstall SP3 and see if the problem fixs itself.
Go to add\remove programs. Put a check mark in the little box at the top that says show updates. Scroll down to the microsoft heading and uninstall sp3
Reboot and if everything works you can reinstall SP3 again

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

You may just want to uninstall SP3 and see if the problem fixs itself.
Go to add\remove programs. Put a check mark in the little box at the top that says show updates. Scroll down to the microsoft heading and uninstall sp3
Reboot and if everything works you can reinstall SP3 again

I clicked on "show updates" and scrolled down, but the only microsoft heading I saw was windows, but there was no SP3 there. I did however, see a Windows XP Service Pack 3, but it wasn't included there and I didn't have an option whether or not to uninstall it. All it allows me to do is click on it and read its support information. Other than that I also saw another update called MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430), in which confused me, because I KNOW I have SP3 installed and I even double checked and saw that it shows SP3 on my system info.

So I don't know why I can't uninstall the service pack or why that other one is included in my update list, but I won't mess w/ it until I get some info.

It's ok to overwrite the SP3 files with the SP2 version if the file is corrupted. Try a sfc /scannow.

You sure? :)

If I can't uninstall the service pack I'll just do this instead.

When does your computer freeze? When it's idle for around 10 min? Or is it completely random and unexpected.

Recently it use to do this when I would attempt to shutdown or restart my PC. It'd get to the windows logoff screen before freezing and not allowing my pc to shutdown or switch to stand by properly. Then sometimes it happens randomly from just being on it or stepping away from it for 10+ minutes. Now it seems to happen when I try to install my oblivion game via CD-ROM. Though, it's not terrible freezing, because it allows me to use the pc until it just happens unexpectedly. I'd just like to get rid of it, because it happens at the most unconvenient of times and it prevents me from installing my game. [bleep], I even recall trying to post on a forum and having it freeze on me the other day. I lost the entire post!

Follow the steps entailed here: http://lifehacker.co...s-xp-031440.php

Done. I haven't yet noticed the improvement, but I'm confident it'll improve my PCs performance rather than hurt it.

Edited by Kuronishi, 10 April 2009 - 02:39 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is straight from Microsoft on how to remove SP3. Go here to SP3 Removal and follow method 2.
If that fails then try method 3 although I believe method 2 will do the trick for you. Please let us know how everything works after uninstall.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 02:44 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I think doing this really screwed up my PC. After uninstalling and reinstalling SP3, my internet explorer is no longer 8 and I get errors whenever I enter in a homepage or go to one of my sites in my favorites. My only way of navigating back to this forum is by typing "geeks to go" in my yahoo homepage's search bar.

Edit: also...I can no longer uninstall my SP3 using steps 1 and 3, because it says a file is now missing.

Edited by Kuronishi, 10 April 2009 - 06:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is all starting to look like a infection now. The internet explorer sounds like you got a redirect virus or a browser hijack. The fix from Microsoft should not have had the results you are describing. You can update IE but I'm being very honest with you. I believe you have a virus or malware of some sort. I would feel alot better if you would
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

If what I think is the problem then the browser problem will be solved. That would also answer about the freezing problem also due to malware can hide as alot of things and some can multiply at will causing system resources to be eaten up. That in turn will cause the system to freeze, reboot, and even stop booting. If for not my peace of mind you should do the above steps to make sure for you.
Please let me know what you would like to do.
Also you may want to supply a link to this topic so the malware tech can see the steps we have taken and the issues you have been getting along the way.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 06:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have been researching your problem and in most cases when the IE acts the way you described then your browser has been hijacked and\or homepage hijacked. I am certain now that you have an infection. Please follow the steps I outlined in my last post.

Advertisements

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Oh boy, not that...anything but that! It gets worse too, because I can't click on your link or any of the shortcuts they give u in the threads, because it gives me an error stating, "the requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context". I don't have the slightest clue what that means, but I'm begining to think that the only way to resolve this is a reformat...

Here are the Programs I use for my PC to keep it in tip-top shape, Bit Defender, Max Secure Spyware Detector, PC Pitstop Optimize 2, PC Pitstop Driver Alert. I was hoping that they'd steer my PC away from any spyware, but I guess I was mistaken.

Edited by Kuronishi, 10 April 2009 - 06:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's not just spyware, there is also Malware, Virus's, Trojans, Hijacks,
There are some real nasty ones out right now. I found this site because I was infected and just my luck it was one of the worst to get.
I just want to stop it if there is indeed a infection before something worse happens. The techs in malware are specially trained to deal with all kinds of infections and they are very good at what they do. Have patience as they can get busy at times. The good thing is they will stay on it with you till they get you cleaned.
If you cannot use the link in my signature then go back to the main forums area and you will see the Malware forum.
From there just follow my steps and read the tutorial first and do what it says. Post the logs in a new topic there and the techs will get to you.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 07:02 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I can't click on any of the guide's download links. Gah, this is so frustrating...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the computer still freezing like it was before?
You can try to update back to SP3 now and\or update IE to 8 again. Another suggestion is have you looked at Firefox browser? It is more secure and faster then IE. A neat little thing you can do is import all your IE favorites into Firefox's bookmarks. Firefox also updates more often then IE in my opinion ever has.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was satisfied w/ internet explorer and I've tried Firefox in the past only to grow to dislike it. I like IE8 more, but after uninstalling and reinstalling SP3 all this seemed to just spring outta nowhere. The only good that's come from it is that I haven't seen any freezing.

Edited by Kuronishi, 10 April 2009 - 07:38 PM.