Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Freezes At Random

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another suggestion. Try to reinstall IE7. If that is not an option you can uninstall IE7, reboot, Install IE7, reboot, install IE8 reboot. Then everything should be ok. The error you gave me
the requested lookup key was not found in any active activation contex
seems to be related to a issue with IE7 engine running on iE6 program. All the research is showing to uninstall IE7, reboot, Reinstall IE7, reboot, try it,
IF it works then install IE8 and reboot.
Everything at that point should be back to normal as far as the internet.

Advertisements

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hmmm...when I go to add/remove programs all I see is IE8. There's no 6 or 7. I also keep getting the same error when I click a link to start downloading and reinstalling IE7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a long shot but there is a possibility it is a addon in IE. I found this just now and maybe you can try it.

If you’ve run into a problem with an IE addon, and want to be able to use Internet Explorer as usual, you can disable the addons and run Internet Explorer without any addons.

Here’s how you can disable all addons/extensions and run IE 7 or even IE 8 without them:

* Go to Start > Run
* Type iexplore -extoff
* Press Enter

Internet Explorer will now run without any additional functionality from addons and you’ll see a page like this:

Posted Image

If you want to be able to use addons again, you’ll have to close Internet Explorer and then start it again.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 07:54 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks, but no luck w/ that either. I have no clue what could be the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point I have to say you're infected. Have you tried to boot into safe mode with networking?
That would give the least amount of drivers in windows but still give you internet capabilities.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
At the moment I'm in safe mode w/ networking. I still seem to be getting the same errors when I type sites in the address bar, my favorites (in my owner's documents) are unusable and I still can't click links without a error message popping up. It seems like my IE really IS bugged, but other than that I don't see anything different as far as viruses and malware is concerned. Usually in safe mode u'd notice the absence of such virus' or malware, right?

Edited by Kuronishi, 10 April 2009 - 08:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not really, they can hide as files or as even executables
Are you having the freezing problem still or has that gone away?
Can you try the following
Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f note the space between k and /
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

If no improvement then
Go to
Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /r note the space between k and /
click enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer the chkdsk /f
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixs the problem

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Nope, I haven't seen my PC freeze since I uninstalled and reinstalled SP3. As for your suggestions, I just tried the 1st one, but nothing came of it. So I'm moving onto the 2nd. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok now the second will take much longer to complete. So we know at this point the SP3 was causing the freezing. Now if we can just get you to the point where you can upgrade to IE8 or get Firefox. If we can get you to the point where you can click on links then we can run some diagnostic test on memory.
Most important I still want to get you into Malware to be examined.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 09:55 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Gah, the second one didn't work, and neither am I able to download firefox.

Thanks for all the help man, but I think I'm beginning to lose hope. It's like my PC always has ridiculous issues, but other than the times when it runs w/ out a hitch, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Its frustating...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. I understand its frustrating. I have 5 of them in my house and all online at the same time. Plus I have 2 more sitting here next to me that I have to get cleaned out and ready to donate to a household without a computer.
The problem is not impossible, maybe tricky but not impossible.
Lets try this, hopefully you have a xp cd. if not the instructions to do this without a xp cd are lower down

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 April 2009 - 10:47 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
k, I'll try this now. I have my windows xp CD so hopefully that'll make things a lot easier.

Edited by Kuronishi, 11 April 2009 - 10:01 AM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok after running sfc /scannow, it instructed me to put in the XP CD, just like you said. Then once finished scanning it closed without saying anything. So, I'm not really sure if it fixed anything or whether or not I should reboot from this point forward.

EDIT: After attempting to reboot, my pc froze at the "windows is shutting down" screen. So I had to manually shut it down. I then turned my PC back on and tried IE once again, but nothing seems to have changed. I still get those same errors.

I'm now considering the option of reformatting. But first, I'm going to make sure to back up my important data on a external hardrive. Then I won't lose my songs and important documents.

Edited by Kuronishi, 11 April 2009 - 03:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Formatting and reinstalling Xp should take care of any infection as long as it's not memory resident. Nothing at this point shows me it would be.. I would like to repair install instead to see if Xp can fix itself.
If you want to try that then here are the instructions for doing A Repair installation of XP. This will not overwrite your existing data but fix anything missing or corrupted with windows itself. For example in your case IE
You can go to the main forum of this topic and there is a topic on the top named
How-to-repair-Windows-XP
Since you cannot click on links at this time I am posting the information this way so you can find it easier.
Please let me know what your decision is and I will assist you in every way I can.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sure we can try to repair it.