Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Freezes At Random

• Please log in to reply

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Everything seems to be working fine now! I just installed SP3 and IE8 w/o a hitch and there doesn't seem to be anymore freezing happening on this PC!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Good job!
I'm glad we could help. Please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It seemed as if the freezing had stooped, but perhaps I was mistaken. It seems to happen whenever I go idle and I'm not so sure if spyware is the issue. Could it be hardware?

Edit: After looking online I've been hearing that it could be my Power Supply. I have a ATX12V 450W Power Supply.

Edited by Kuronishi, 19 April 2009 - 11:40 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.lockergno...upply-problems/
Read that to find out how to test your psu. I don't know if that is the real issue though.

It might be malware, and you should check out the guide: http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
If you have a feeling it might be malware, you could post your logs and the techs could look them over, to see if malware is the issue.

Are you overclocking any hardware? (cpu, graphics card?)

http://www.mydigital...-in-windows-xp/
Try doing the things entailed in this article.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Here's a scan I ran and to my knowledge I'm not overclocking anything. I've also already turned off "indexing".

Edited by Rorschach112, 20 April 2009 - 05:01 AM.
removed log

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Step Five: Rootkit Detection

Here's my LOG...

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
If you had a root kit detection please follow the steps below

Please click here on malware and spyware cleaning guide follow the instructions there.

This will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.

If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a NEW topic, here in the Malware forum. please post the requested logs. Once you have completed this step, one of the other experts will be with you, If you continue to have problems after you are clean then return to this thread and we will continue to assist you.

Thank you and Good Luck

Cbarnard

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
His logs are clean, I highly doubt its malware related

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
couple of things to try...go to the power options in the control panel and set hibernate and standby to never...same for hard disks...
OK your way out reboot...
when it hangs...if you let it set for 5 or 10 minutes can you resume working...
can you post a screenshot of your processes for us when you have ALL your normal things going...click on the cpu at the top to get the ones that are using the most resources to the top of the list....drag the window open to get it all before getting the screenshot..

Edited by happyrock, 20 April 2009 - 09:53 AM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I waited 5-10 minutes after my pc froze froze and it restarted. This is the 1st time this has happened, so I'm unsure if this is always the case.

Posted Image

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do you know what is using the process searchindexer.exe? I have seen that process cause some problems like yours.
Do you have itunes installed?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
by restarted do you mean you could use it again to do something... like move your mouse ect...please just post the screenshots here as the image you have only takes me to imageshack...and nothing is there...

when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

Edited by happyrock, 20 April 2009 - 06:12 PM.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Do you know what is using the process searchindexer.exe? I have seen that process cause some problems like yours.
Do you have itunes installed?

Itunes is installed and I'm think the process called searchindexer is from a program installed by windows update.

I also reuploaded the image of my processes on photobucket.

Posted Image

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try teminating the searchindexer process, and monitor your computer if it comes back.
That might solve your problem. When the computer freezes, observe task manager, and see what is acting up.

Kuronishi

Kuronishi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When it freezes I can't do anything. I can't move the mouse or have use of the keyboard.