Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heres a new one on me - DNS/ARP not working

• Please log in to reply

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
ok if you read the title then you have a basic idea of one side of my problem. I cant go anywhere online or elsewhere without knowing the ip address.. since the internet is now built around dns and arp noone knows ip addresses of even the most common sites off the top of their head. (i know google's cuz i looked it up on a different computer).

let me try to step through what all i have done to the computer.

i was working on sending out an email from MS Outlook when i noticed that it lost connection to exchange server. After seeing that i looked at the network connection in the taskbar and it said limited or no connectivity. that is when i noticed my wired connection wasn't working. HOWEVER, I can ping both the loopback and the computers own ip address so i am sure it is not a hardware failure. when i try to ping the switch i get host unreachable. I have tried different cat5 cables as well to get the same result. all of the switch and exchange and everything has been in place and running on same configuration for a couple of years now so nothing has changed there. nor has anything changed on my computer as far as new software being installed and such.

I did run all of the malware scans i had immediate access too including mbam, spybot S&D, SAS, and my eset nod32 suite scanner. all came back perfectly clean. I have run ccleaner's registry fixer thing-a-ma-bob and cleaned all temp file with atf cleaner(as well as running ccleaner's cleaner).

I have tried disabling the eset firewall and doing a repain on the local internet connection. I have also done an ipconfig/flushdns, netsh winsock reset, netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh interface ip delete arpcache, and a couple other i read in different forums but cant remember them now. i have obviously rebooted several times along with disabling and re-enabling the local internet connection. i reinstalled the NIC and Chipset drivers as well(after uninstalling them first of course)

I have gotten a couple of stop errors concerning driver verifier. These came up when i was trying to uninstall the NIC drivers. Something i prolly should have mentioned before all of this is that this all started when while i was working on typing that email the computer froze and after several minutes i decided to force restart. Event log has SEVERAL errors logged, most concerning w32time and not being able to contact active directory.

now here is the tricky part. I have a wireless adapter that i had installed several months back that i decided to plug in after i started having all of this trouble. Using it i can get out to the internet, but only if i know the IP addresses for the sites i want to go to. withing the network i cant remote desktop to a computer using the computer name but rather have to know the ip address. I did notice that the dns service wasnt started so i started it but that hasnt helped any. Because the wireless adapter will at least let me get out makes me think that the wired connection is going bad, but if the wired connection is going bad then i shouldnt be able to ping loopback(least thats what i have always been taught).

Any one have any ideas of what else i could try to get things running again?

Thanks in adv!

oh another part of the problem was i wasnt being assigned a dhcp address. of course if the computer isnt getting to the switch then the switch cant give an address. but a static ip didnt work either, again if the computer cant get to the switch then it cant go anywhere else. the wireless connection did get a dhcp address though. im thinking i may have something blocking communication on the wired address but not sure where else to look.

Edited by SomeCrazyStuff, 10 April 2009 - 04:00 PM.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
The easiest thing to try would be to flush the DNS cache. To do this, open up a command prompt (Start...Run...type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Once that finishes, type "ipconfig /registerdns" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let it finish, then see if that has fixed your connection issues.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
A driver packet received from the I/O subsystem was invalid. The data is the packet.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001CF065A6FF. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/10.3.1.12. No authentication protocol was available.

The Security System detected an attempted downgrade attack for server cifs/10.3.1.12. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

and still no luck going anywhere... have to use ip addresses while on the wireless connection...

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, I missed the part of your post where you stated that you'd already tried this. :)
But the information that you've provided tells us a lot about what's wrong here.

Although I'm not real familiar with them, I wonder if this is a DNS cache poisoning attack ( http://en.wikipedia....cache_poisoning )? Is your DNS server hosted locally (on a local network that you use to access the internet)?
The system is having difficulties (timeouts) when accessing the DNS server.
Again I'm not sure, but it appears that your DNS server is hosted locally. What are the DNS suffixes that your system uses? You can find out by using this article (the DNS stuff is on the last image): http://www.cs.cmu.ed...fo/dhcp_xp.html

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
well i actually agree with you, except that other computers on he same dns server work without a hitch. I dont think it makes since that one would work fine and one wouldnt...

But, I think I am just going to reformat it and start from scratch... I have to have this computer running for monday so.. o welll... nothing like a fresh start i suppose.

Sorry if i have several typos.. this is a different keyboard and it is horrible... will be the last tmie i use it..

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
usasma thanks alot for your help. I appreciate it and the time you have taken to help out.

This forum can be closed.. topic is no longer needed