Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes at Startup

• Please log in to reply

NewfyMom

NewfyMom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all, I am so green at repairing computers, but I always try and have been successful thanks to these forums.

Here's my problem:

My son logged out of his computer normally one night and then the next time he logged in he got a Windows - No Disk error message when starting up. He could click those away and then he got svchost.exe error messages. Once that started, his computer was completed frozen and he would have to do a hard shutdown. I researched the errors and it seemed like there was a problem with the Windows Automatic Updates. At first I could use Safe Mode to log in and attempt fixes, but now it freezes when it gets to the Windows Starting Up screen. I have tried all the Safe Mode options and Last Known Good Config options. I can't do anything.

Some posts suggest going to Start - Run - msconfig and other things, but I don't know how to get there if it gets locked at the startup. My mouse and keyboard freeze and I can't do anything. Please help.

This is Windows Media Center. Any suggestions (in layman's terms) would be GREATLY appreciated. I do have recovery disks, but my son is afraid that will lose all of his data. Please help! Thanks!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287