Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Don't Think This is a Malware Problem

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is Uniblue?
What does it do?

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Its some junk Registry Cleaner and PC optimiser

Think you have to buy it. Useless and dangerous

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Thats what I suspected. Thanks for clearing that up.
To continue. DO NOT USE ANY REGISTRY CLEANER.
We do not recommend them. They will turn your hard drive and OS into a paper weight, The only way to recover from that is to reformat and install.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

DO NOT USE ANY REGISTRY CLEANER.
We do not recommend them. They will turn your hard drive and OS into a paper weight, The only way to recover from that is to reformat and install.

I used to use RegCure, but found that it too would just make things worse.

By "reformat and install" I think you mean a "clean installation" of my XP Pro. As my computer is new enough not to have much on it, that's what I intend to do. And then avoid any program that claims to fix my registry or anything else. As I see it the computer starts out fine. It's alien programs that can ruin it. It's up to me to keep it simple.

Thanks much all,

Robert

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Yes, a clean installation is the same thing as a format and reinstall.

I love the smell of a clean install in the morning! :)

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
usasma,

Yes, a clean installation is the same thing as a format and reinstall.

That's just where I'm headed if it can be done. My computer is pre-installed with XP Pro. So without a CD I don't see how this can be done unless I go out and buy a XP Pro CD.

I ran the series of for Malware Removal and Spyware Removal and Cleaning guide. I have no Malware or Spyware.

If this is of any value at all I post the Rooter Rootkit report here:

I'm back to being slow. Just trying things. A shot in the dark here. A shot in the dark there.

I have only my few basic programs (e.g., Photoshop) that once the clean install is done I can re-install. Will export my email and IE favorites to an external drive.

What do you think?

My guess is something to do with the registry. Or the way I've set up the wireless network. I will not lose my Outlook Express until I see that it's the only option. I've seen IE 8 and don't like it. I like having my email right here locally. Linda lost her OE and the best I could find for her is IncrediMail which is at least local and she actually enjoys it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can borrow a XP Pro cd that is all you need. Your system should have a reg code sticker on it. That is the part that is unique to your system. Once install is complete then you will have to reinstall all your drivers and I'm guessing since your system did not come with the OS disk you don't have a drivers disk for the mb? Not a problem we can help with that also.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
My computer does have a Product Key. Will that do? I think I can borrow a XP Pro CD for the purposes.

Once install is complete then you will have to reinstall all your drivers and I'm guessing since your system did not come with the OS disk you don't have a drivers disk for the mb?

No, I have no "drivers disk for the mb". What's that?

Have acquired a friend from China who did the D-Link home network for me at a reasonable cost. Very intelligent, but a little hard to communicate with in English. He's run a shop here with his wife for 4 years and I just discovered him. I suppose he'll know what all I need and won't charge me. But I'll need to know what to ask for. And does this mean doing all over again the network? If so, I think I can do this now myself as I watched him at work on our computers. Actually, I tend to believe he made some mistake along the way. And there's still the Mac. I'm waiting for the hardware for that. What an expensive month it's been--all hardware and the drivers for the hardware.

Everything is self-taught for me except for what you all are teaching me.

Thanks much,

Robert

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Getting drivers for the mb which would consist of
Audio, Video, Network, Usb
this should not be to difficult to find with alittle research
All we need to know is what mb you have

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 12:55 PM.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

All we need to know is what mb you have

Apologies. My head is full. What, in this context, is "mb"?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
mb is motherboard
also sometimes we refer to it as a mobo

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Mobo.

OK. This means opening the computer. And then what? How do I find and give you the info on what motherboard I have?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below
Save it to your desktop.
Click on the icon it creates and let it run
I need this information from it. First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me
Manufacturer and model number it shows
Second click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Mainboard:

Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corp.

Model: 00T606

Memory:

Type: DDR
Size: 512 MBytes

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Before this clean install, I'm heading over to the forum on Networking. Here's why:

I believe this is the first priority. I've been using "Pure Networks Network Magic". I've read bad things about this program and am not about to buy it, but I've discovered its "Test Internet Speed" just for fun. But it's not funny. By simply moving the D-Link router here and there and messing with the two antennas I've found a place that goes from these speeds:

Download: 5215
Upload: 806

to

Download: 5960
Upload: 2187

This is still not as good as we had when we were wired. We're on cable and these figures show speeds slower than DSL. I did not install my wireless; left it to a tech. I'm thinking he got it wrong.

See 'ya over at "Networking" if you can help.

Thanks to all for all you've done.

Robert