Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows startup slow after removing modem card..

• Please log in to reply

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Defrag was not necessary.

After ATF - now 21.4 Gb free - still no change

>>Reboot and let me know how system is running now

No difference

>>Start>>Run>>>type in Chkdsk /f
>>lick enter...it will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
>>f the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the >>chkdsk operation
>>When completed it will boot the system back into windows.
>>Let me know if this fixs the problem

Didn't find anything..

>>If this doesn't help then do the following
>>chkdsk /r
>>Let me know if this fixs the problem

I'm afraid not - came back with no errors.........

I'm sorry to be such a pain. It just seems to be sitting there doing nothing for those 2.5 minutes. No disk activity - nothing, then just springs back into life.

Is there any way of monitoring/getting some sort of log of what the damned thing is ACTUALLY doing during that period. Tried looking at performance monitor/perfwiz, but I can only kick them off once the machine has actually started ??? Will shortly resolve problem by throwing the machine out of the window...

Thanks for all your help - but nothing seems to make any difference. I REALLY need to see what the heck it is actually DOING for those 2.5 minutes - then I think that might give us some more concrete ideas. As I previously stated, before removing the modem card and installing the wireless card/software, the performance was fine...

Really at wit's end now...
Cheers - Graham

PS - I have just done a quick check on a statement that I made before. If I log in as a user from restart, it takes ages (2.5 minutes or whatever). However, if I then just do a "log off" and log on another user, it's perfectly quick. It's something that is happening on a RESTART, but NOT on a login by a user.. Don't know if that helps at all ??

Edited by gboddy, 13 April 2009 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Chkdsk /r will take allot longer to complete. Although it seems to freeze it is still going. It is not uncommon for it to take more then a hour to complete.
Also just for interest. Boot into safe mode. Go into users accounts and create a new user account with admin rights. Shut down and then power up. Log in under the new account. Try rebooting from that account and again log in under new account. If this works then you may have a corrupted profile.
The Dcom you refrenced earlier is from Mcafee. That can and may be the root of all this.
Here is the research I found supporting this
"I investigated DCOM and found that most people do not consider it necessary for home user and many others too. Ended up removing it, and disabling associated baggage. that included for me Internet information services. I have lost no functionality, my system is faster in every way, and no more errors since no more DCOM."

Try going into Add\Remove programs and find any reference to mcafee. Remove them and then reboot. See if that fix's the problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 April 2009 - 12:36 PM.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
>>In the Error Checking field click Check Now
No change

>>when that is done
>>In Defragmentation field click Defragment Now

Didn't need it

Ran ATF - no change

>>Chkdsk /f

Found one dodgy sector - still slow though

If this doesn't help then do the following

>>Chkdsk /r

No change, I'm afraid

Sorry - still screwed, I'm afraid

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well lets get down and get serious now. This will check the files for windows and hopefully fix any corruption it finds.
Follow the next steps exactly.

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
(this applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc")
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start>Run, type in:
regedit
Click OK.

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries (Values) on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive,(usually D:) and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 01:41 PM.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I can completely remove McAfee if you like, but I HAVE deinstalled/reinstalled it once which DID get rid of the DCOM error. Safe Mode made no difference, just hung in a slightly different place.... Same for new user. Same symptoms for ALL users. Splash screen comes up. 2 minutes of complete inactivity - no CPU usage, no disk usage (I checked Task Manager) - just seems to sit there... and then comes up and starts working....

Is there no significance in the fact that it's ONLY if I do a RESTART that this occurs. If I logout, and then log back in as a user (same or different) it starts straight up right away...

I can remove McAfee again... but don't think it made any difference last time.

Only other thing that I can think of that changed as a result of installing the new Netgear PCI card was that I used to have a Netgear W111T USB wireless connection which I deinstalled prior to this mess.... Do you think THAT could be significant rather than removing the modem card ?? Clutching at straws here, I know !!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not unless there is still some reference to the old card somewhere.
Go to
Start>Right Click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

anywhere in any of the network or wireless entries is there any reference to the old card?
If so then right click on it and uninstall

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 April 2009 - 01:59 PM.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm afraid that the sfcscan completed without any errors..........

Is it worth just taking the wireless card out of the PC and seeing if it makes any difference. Could it be something to do
with the fact that I previously had the Netgear USB software in and deinstalled it and it has not completely removed
everything when I did the deinstall???

Really don't know what to do next ... Do Netgear have a similar removal tool to remove all traces of their software
that McAfee provided as well as just the deinstall that you are aware of ?? I've done a registry clean and defrag using
the Systweak Advanced Optimiser tool to get rid of any dangling registry entries ......

Thanks again for your help.
Regards - Graham

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
There is no reference to the old modem card anywhere in Device Manager. I was just wondering whether it might be something to do with some sort of clash with the old WG111T USB wireless drivers and software and the new WG311T PCI card and drivers. But I don't know of any way of checking this? Is it worth contacting Netgear support about this as well although I must confess I've not found them to be much use in the past, as would seem to be the case on a lot of postings on Google !!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try taking the wireless out. If the system speeds up then the culprit somehow is the wireless card.
Don't put the old card in the first time
If there are any references to the old card still in the system then not putting it back in will cause these to reappear. Then we will have the cuprit there.
Please reply back with your findings

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Had a feeling that it might boil down to doing that ... I'll have to wait till after 17:00 UK Time as I'm at work !!

Let you know what happens.......

Advertisements

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry it's taken a little while to reply. Been unable to find the time to take my PC to bits this last week.
OK - results... Sort of as expected...

1) Removed wireless card - booted fine with no delays..
2) Remove one of existing other cards in one of the other PCI (Creative Soundblaster) and replaced it in the PCI
slot that the wireless one was previously in. Rebooted fine with no delays. I thought that this would just verify that there was nothing wrong with the actual PCI slot. Soundcard worked fine, so that eliminated that line of thought.
3) Replaced the wireless card - detected it OK, but guess what - got delay again. Everything working fine after 2-3 minutes (including wireless networking), it's just this initial delay where nothing seems to be happening..

Most frustrating... It CAN'T be a faulty card, surely, otherwise the networking wouldn't work at all ???

Yours non-expertly, but frustratedly - Graham
:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Great detail and a humorous response likewise. Well I believe you have answered your question now. The wireless card is adding some type of extra loading to the windows startup. It may be the initialization string that is causing this. Other then the startup is everything working correctly once you are in windows?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I want to check one more thing just to make sure. Please reboot your system with the wireless card installed. Immediately after windows starts up then:

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run and 2: Type in eventvwr.msc
Press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X in the last 3 to 4 minutes during startup
On left side click on System. Onright side look for any Red X in the last 3 to 4 minutes during startup
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
Include as a attachment in your next reply

If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire . Register and upload your file. Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 April 2009 - 06:34 AM.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK - I am getting a red circle, white cross in the System->Events part. However, this refers to DCOM again. Going through the Event analysis procedure that is shown by Microsoft by clicking on the link (screenshot uploaded) , it points to McAfee Agent AGAIN - which is nearly back where we started....... Aren't we going round in circles here, although I do appreciate that somehow this may be the cause of all this...

We've already been through the removing McAfee, etc, etc process before, haven't we ??

Screenshot attached anyway ...

Yours dumbly - Graham

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes we have but what I'm doing is verifying what I believe to be the problem.
These DCOM error messages are benign, and you can ignore them.

This is a direct quote from Microsoft on this error message:

This issue occurs because the Microsoft Search (MSSearch) service starts before the Web Storage System starts, and the Microsoft Search service tries to automatically start the Web Storage System by using distributed COM (DCOM). The Web Storage System is secured to prevent programs from starting the Web Storage System with DCOM; therefore, an error is recorded when the Microsoft Search service tries to do so.

This being revealed now, I can say for certain that the network card is trying to acquire the connection to the router and that is what holds up your bootup now.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 April 2009 - 08:27 AM.