Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows startup slow after removing modem card..

• Please log in to reply

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
So is it worth attempting to deinstall/reinstall the McAfee software again or possibly contact McAfee Support about it ?

Or perhaps deinstall/reinstall the Netgear software/hardware again ?

Any ideas on where to progress from here would be more than welcome... I HAVE got the sysinternals suite of programs installed. Would any of these be of any help in diagnosing WHAT it is actually doing during that seemingly endless pause phase ?

Thanks as per usual
Graham

Advertisements

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Googling around, I noticed one hit that mentioned about a particular bit of malware that poses as mcagent.exe.....

Is it worth deinstalling all of the McAfee software, cleaning it using an official McAfee tool and then seeing if the mcagent.exe program still exists on startup, in registry, etc... Possibly use sysinternals/ProcMon.exe or something similar to see if this is the case ??

Yours desperately
Graham

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would uninstall it using mcafee tool. Check to see if the mcagent.exe file is gone.
Reboot a coupel of times and recheck for exe file. If it returns then it may be worth a trip to malware forum to have them help you check it out for infection.
I would suggest Avast antivirus as it is free and in my opinion better the mcafee.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'll give it a try tonight and let you know what happens .....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update. I will monitor this topic for your response

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK - I have stripped it all back down to the minimum. I have deinstalled the McAfee software. I have run the MCPR software provided by McAfee to make sure that it is COMPLETELY deinstalled.

I have then gone through the process of deinstalling the network card, removed it, reinstalled the latest drivers, put the network card back in and it is still doing the same blo*dy thing !!

Before I replaced the wireless card, it was all rebooting fine. As soon as I replaced the card, and completed the Netgear driver install, it all went pear-shaped again...

I have come to the conclusion that (and I have Googled a lot of Netgear forums and the like) that there would appear to be a LOT of complaints about duff Netgear WG311T cards and I think that this may actually be a hardware problem....

I have removed EVERY other possible bit of software and it was all OK. As soon as I reinstalled the Netgear wireless card, it all ground to a halt again.

I am going to write to Netgear and complain about the card and attempt to get a replacement card, or better still get a different make of card. I only went for the Netgear card as I have got a WG624 router which allegedly gives me a 108mps connection.. I wish !!

I think that we have explored every possible software avenue. Only other question that I have is :
Are there any of the sysinternals tools which may give me a clue as to what it is doing during its 2 minute pause. The procmon/procexp doesn't show any CPU being used, there is no disk activity... I don't know what the heck it is actually doing !!

Otherwise it's a question of writing to Netgear and complaining.. I have even tried moving it to a different PCI slot in case there was a problem with that, but that has made no difference. I am now despairing of the damned thing and wishing that I had just kept my old USB wireless connection, which although slower, actually worked !!

I apologise if I have wasted your time on this, but I really can't think of any avenue that we can explore now ??

Yours utterly and totally fed up
Graham

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologise if I have wasted your time on this, but I really can't think of any avenue that we can explore now ??
You are not wasting my time as this is why I am here. I have to agree with your synopsis of the issue and that it appears to be a Netgear problem. It would only make sense that either the card is at fault or it's like I said before, the card is trying to connect to the router and that is what is giving you the lag time at bootup. I would agree that you should contact Netgear.
Here is the link to their contact phone numbers by country. Please let me know what they discover and what resolution they offer.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Netgear support are about as useful as a concrete parachute! I have managed to persuade Amazon to give me a refund on the cost of their wireless card. Looking at several user forums/Google/etc - I am seeing nothing but BAD reviews on this particular card. I am therefore looking at buying a different make of card. The only reason that I went for the Netgear WG311T was because it was compatible with my Netgear WG624 router in terms of supporting 108 Mps transmission.

I have seen so MANY bad reviews on their products (and this one in particular - a lot citing system lockups, etc !!) that I certainly WON'T be buying Netgear again.. Do you have any particular recommendations or is that something that I should direct to a different forum ?

Some progress, I guess....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it verified our diagnosis that something is wrong with the card. I don't use wireless but Linksys is one I see allot of people have.

Try Tigerdirect Here
or Newegg Here
Either just look at the left window and you can chose any manufacture and separate the list according to which name brand you like.
Please let me know if you have any questions and keep me updated on what happens after buying and installing a new card. I am interested in seeing if the new card does allow your issue to be resolved :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 April 2009 - 06:16 AM.

gboddy

gboddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have ordered a new network card after waiting for recommendation from a colleague at work. In the meantime, I reinstalled by old Wireless USB Adaptor and that works fine (with no startup issues), albeit a bit on the slow side !!

Will let you know outcome of new wireless card when it arrives ...

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thank you for the update. We will keep this topic open for you :)