Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

update usb driver from "universal" to "enhanced"

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I have a 2001 laptop that still is "universal" rather than "enhanced" for the usb 2.0 port. I read that updating to "enhanced" will make transfers high speed for applicable usb devices I plug in. But I've encountered problems updating the driver(s) for my usb port. I found this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873169, which seems to explain the reason (the Windows XP service pack 2), but none of the suggestions on the page work properly--i.e. when I try to update from the device manager. So, is there a way to update my
"Intel 82801BA/BAM usb universal host controller - 2442"
with some driver that will make the port "enhanced" and high speed?
(I've done some searching for drivers to dl for this, but the results are pretty confusing for me.)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.

I assume the error you are getting is similar to :This device is not running at optimum speed, please plug in to a high speed controller".
If you are at SP2, then the controllers would already be at USB 2.0
If you tried to update them and got the"No newer driver can be found", then you can not get 2.0

This is generally a hardware limitation. You can't upgrade.

READ THIS.

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well I can certainly understand there are limitations for hardware(s) that simply cannot be gotten around--no matter what updates. Still, with the multitudes of program hacks out there that people devise, I wonder why no one developed a way to get around this usb hardware limitation somehow? (Maybe with USB 2, it just wasn't worth the time or energy.)

Apart from that, I understand what you're saying and the point of that post you linked: hardware is hardware, and there probably isn't any conventional way (i.e. approved driver updates) to get around it--other than buy some new hardware, which doesn't make sense for a laptop this old.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If it was a desktop, I would advise putting in a USB 2.0 pci adapter card, but you can't do that on the laptop.

I do not recall anything available to add on on a laptop.

EDIT. That got me to thinking. Look at this link
http://www.techloops...ciaadapter.html

Here is the google search I did.
http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

Hope that helps.

Edited by 123Runner, 11 April 2009 - 03:25 PM.