Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer build - memory

• Please log in to reply

samhack

samhack

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm putting together my first computer and had a quick question pertaining to memory choice. I know that with some computer components, like the PSU, brand name is very important. I was just wondering is the same goes for memory, as I noticed that the stock 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz for the Intel system I was putting together on ecollegpc.com was $20 less than the Corsair 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz. I know Corsair is a good brand, but I was just wondering if the extra money just for a brand name is necessary (I know $20 isn't a whole lot, but I'm trying to save as much money as possible).

Thanks,
Sam

Edited by samhack, 11 April 2009 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

samhack

samhack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Two more quick questions:

1. I've been looking through motherboards lately and was wondering what the difference is between a motherboard with 2xDDR2 and 4xDDR2

2. How much of an upgrade is 896MB nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 graphics card over a 1 GB nVidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ graphics card. (Is it worth an extra $50, Will the 9800 GTX+ be capable of running games like Fallout 3 and Empire: Total War)

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Edited by samhack, 11 April 2009 - 02:54 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I was just wondering is the same goes for memory, as I noticed that the stock 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz for the Intel system I was putting together on ecollegpc.com was $20 less than the Corsair 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz

Not worth the extra 20 unless you want name brand.

1. I've been looking through motherboards lately and was wondering what the difference is between a motherboard with 2xDDR2 and 4xDDR2

The difference I believe you are referencing is the number of memory slots on the motherboard

2. How much of an upgrade is 896MB nVidia GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 graphics card over a 1 GB nVidia Geforce 9800 GTX+ graphics card. (Is it worth an extra $50, Will the 9800 GTX+ be capable of running games like Fallout 3 and Empire: Total War)

You will not see that much of a performance increase with the more expensive card. Since price is a issue stay with the original card. Also the original will run the games with no problem.

I hope this helps.

samhack

samhack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
cool thanks for the reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. Feel free to post any other questions and we will be happy to help.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

I was just wondering is the same goes for memory, as I noticed that the stock 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz for the Intel system I was putting together on ecollegpc.com was $20 less than the Corsair 4 GB 6400 DDR2 800 Mhz

Hello, rshaffer61. I noticed the unfriendly link you provided, which is highlighted in red in the quote, is broken. Also, when making links, make them friendly. Friendly links are described as making the website URL clickable. In the future, I would recommend that you check your links before posting. Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I didn't provide that link. That was a quote from OP. My response looking at post 3 are all in bold print. I quoted op from post 1 and broke it apart to make it easier for Op to understand. I'm sorry if it was confusing.