Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm stuck... looking for ideas

• Please log in to reply

Mattman17

Mattman17

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, I have just about reached the end of my rope. I have been trying to install XP SP3 for a good while now, and each time I do, no matter what I have done, I get the same error messages and the install stops:

=========
Service Pack 3 Setup could not backup registry value
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,\'tabletwizard\'. 5: Access is denied.

Service Pack 3 Setup could not backup registry value
HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,\'TUlaunch\'. 5: Access is denied.
=========

First, I tried cleaning up registry with Glary Utilities and Eusing Registry Cleaner. Then I found this site/forum after "googling" the error message and proceeded to try the Malware removal steps and got down to Step 3: Windows Update and again encounter the same issue (after cleansing several invasions...). Then I went to the MS Support page and found where they have posted ideas for resolving the "access denied" issue, and followed them (to include resetting the registry) and again, same problem.

So, now I am stuck. I cannot follow the Forum's Malware removal process because I am stuck.

Any suggestions y'all have would be helpful :) I am getting a tad frustrated.

Thanks!
Matt

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Sounds like you dont have the right permissions setup for that registry key.

Go to Start > Run > regedit

Here find the key HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Once here right click on Run and click on permissions. Once here allow full control for all users by click the Allow button. This may not work but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you need any further help just say the magic words :)

Mattman17

Mattman17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the suggestion... when I try...

Interesting.

I cannot open/expand the /.DEFAULT. I am the administrator of this box logged into my account with administrator privilages, and I cannot change the settings, because I don't have permission. :) Grr..

So despite running all of these registry "cleaners and fixers" I have this issue to contend with too... rats.

Any more idears?

Please :)

Edited by Mattman17, 11 April 2009 - 02:55 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Maybe, don't know for sure, you should install SP3 in safe mode.
http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm
Read this if you don't know how. Choose safe mode with networking if you need to use the internet during the install.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Oh. Then how about setting the permission for the HKEY_USERS key. Right click on it and select Permissions. There, click Allow for all. Hope that helps :]

Mattman17

Mattman17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, the saga continues...
I was able to change the permissions of the HKEY_USERS key... but there is NOTHING under the .DEFAULT folder.

I then tried installing in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING... still no good.

One bad side effect of that last operation is all of the non-administrator user accounts disappeared from the "My Computer" view, but it's visible when I drill down from the root of C:\. When I go to the user manager, I don't have an option to "reactivate" those accounts so they are visible on the boot-up menu or in "My Computer"... **SIGH**

I am slowly resigning myself to system restoration from scratch... EEEEWWW... I need to have an XP box here at home (kids games and such)... but I'm not there yet.

Thank you for the suggestions and "keep'em coming"...

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If the .DEFAULT key is empty, I'd suspect a serious issue with your registry.

Try repairing the registry by using System Restore to go back to a time before you started to install SP3. Then check the .DEFAULT key to see if there's anything there.

If you're not able to locate any suitable Restore points, then try a repair install of Windows XP. Directions are here:
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Once the registry issues are fixed, then ensure that all of your drivers are compatible with SP3 (when in doubt, install new one's), and that you're free of malware. Then try again to install SP3.

Mattman17

Mattman17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks John... I was afraid of that. Since HP did not provide me with a set of XP Disks (D:\ partition on the big HD), I need to get a little guidance on the repair of XP. I do have the key (thanks to the tool in the thread you reference above).

So, how do I initiate the repair of XP without the disc?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Go to All Programs from your start menu, choose hp tools, and then choose hp pc system recovery.
I don't know the exact steps, but once your computer reboots, it will boot into the HP recovery software. Perform a non-destructive reinstall if you want to keep all your files.
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07145
Read the article above.

Once you have done a recovery, install the latest Windows hotfixes, and make sure your AV program is up to date.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Since you don't have a set of disks, I'd recommend that you contact HP and see if they'll send you a set.

The one's that I used in my wife's office a couple of years ago had a non-destructive option. They were less than $20 (US) and I received them within 4 or 5 days.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph08097
If your computer was manufactured in spring 2003 or later you can create recovery discs using the link above.

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07143
Also read this for more on how to obtain a recovery disc.

They were less than $20 (US) and I received them within 4 or 5 days.

I thought they were free, but I never had to buy any discs so I don't know. The recovery partition on your computer works just as well.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
HP/Compaq hasn't (that I've seen) ever given out a free set of recovery disks - especially for systems that are out of warranty.
Sony will usually, Dell may/maynot, Toshiba will want even more money, haven't had any real luck with getting Gateway/eMachines or Acer disks. Lenovo sent me a free set because mine weren't shipped (I got XP disks in the box - but I'd purchased Vista). Haven't ever looked into Asus recovery/restore CD's

As time goes on, more of the manufacturer's won't supply recovery disks - even with a new system. So I recommend to everyone that they create the recovery disks as soon as they get their new system. It's gonna save the pain and expense of getting a copy from the manufacturer when the hard drive dies (and they all do die eventually!).

Dell's and Asus' still come with Recovery disks, but all of the rest of the major manufacturers have stopped supplying them. Toshiba stopped doing this in the last month or two. Netbooks seem to be an exception to this rule - which is odd because of the low cost, limited storage, and the absence of a DVD drive.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

HP/Compaq hasn't (that I've seen) ever given out a free set of recovery disks - especially for systems that are out of warranty.
Sony will usually, Dell may/maynot, Toshiba will want even more money, haven't had any real luck with getting Gateway/eMachines or Acer disks. Lenovo sent me a free set because mine weren't shipped (I got XP disks in the box - but I'd purchased Vista). Haven't ever looked into Asus recovery/restore CD's

As time goes on, more of the manufacturer's won't supply recovery disks - even with a new system. So I recommend to everyone that they create the recovery disks as soon as they get their new system. It's gonna save the pain and expense of getting a copy from the manufacturer when the hard drive dies (and they all do die eventually!).

Dell's and Asus' still come with Recovery disks, but all of the rest of the major manufacturers have stopped supplying them. Toshiba stopped doing this in the last month or two. Netbooks seem to be an exception to this rule - which is odd because of the low cost, limited storage, and the absence of a DVD drive.

I learned a lot... Thank you usasma

Mattman17

Mattman17

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey thanks everyone for all of the constructive suggestions... I have not had a chance to try the last couple of them yet, but I will keep you all posted. You have given me HOPE... perfect for today, being Easter and all... and I thank you very much.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey all,

I'm interested to see how this thread turns out.

Please don't forget to always include information on backing up the registry before checking or configuring settings. Using ERUNT is a simple and quick process, but can make all the difference if something goes wrong during the process.

You can simply include the link to Admin's ERUNT tutorial here.

Cheers

Troy