Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Blue Screen Error!

• Please log in to reply

scottyc18

scottyc18

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop was not loading Windows! It was just going round and round in a circle, trying to load it, restarting, trying to load, restart etc!
After many failed attempts at Safe Mode etc, I finally got a Blue Screen of Death Error Message! It read...:
STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksun}
The image iertutil.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Now this error seem to have just come out of the blue as my laptop was working during the morning, but not in the afternoon.
I contacted my manufactuer and they said to reinstall it with the Installation Disc. One problem: I can't find it! Now will this actually solve my issue (I'm quite confident it will!) but I did contact a computer technician and he wanted to charge me to bring it to him (as they would!)

Any other help here guys?!
PLEASE!

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I think you will need the disc in order to copy over the non-corrupted file. Having a disc would allow you to fix the corrupted file through the recovery console, but you don't have the disc. Might as well take your computer to the tech. Try asking a friend for a retail CD first.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello scottyc18,

FYI, iertutil.dll is related to IE7, you may have a corrupt file or you may have a bad memory module.
If you have more than one in your laptop, you could try removing one, reboot,if this works your all set, if not then try the other.

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
If you have another machine available you could download memtest86+ from here. From that site you can download the ISO which you can burn to a CD using any standard CD burning program or you can even download the program to be installed onto a bootable flash drive. With this program you will be able to test the memory in the laptop to see if it is the problem.

Let me know if you need further assistance or instructions on how to use the program.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Here are some detailed instructions on how to use memtest... Thanks to Magglass and SongCloud for suggesting it.

Step 1: Downloading Memtest
http://www.memtest.org/
Go here to download memtest. Go to Download (Pre-built and ISOs)
Get the file that is named Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
It should be under v.2.11 (or the latest version at the time)
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory.

Step 2: Downloading and Burning a Boot Disc with Burncdcc
http://www.terabyteu...ee-software.htm
Go here and download Burncdcc.
Unzip "burncdcc.zip"
Go to the unzipped folder and double-click on "BURNCDCC.EXE"
The program should come up...
Click on "Browse" and open up the .iso file that you unzipped earlier.
Click on "Read Verify," to scan the disc after it is burned to make sure it's written properly (optional)
Pop in a blank CD (CD-R, CD-RW, any type of CD should be ok)
Click on "Start"
Once the disc has been burned, the tray will auto eject the CD.

Step 3: Using the Memtest Diagnostic
Now you should have a bootable CD that has memtest on it.
This program tests your RAM and checks if it is in good condition.
Once you have the CD, you should take out all sticks of RAM from your computer except one.
Boot from the disc, and run the memory test for at least 7 passes.
After this test passed or failed, try the other stick of RAM (if there is another).
Run this test overnight if you want to.

What if?
If the test fails with one stick of RAM, it may be faulty, and you should get it replaced if it is still covered under its warranty. Before you buy a new stick though, make sure that you are not mixing and matching RAM from different vendors, as this may cause a problem with some motherboards. If you are not, then try cleaning the motherboard's RAM socket with a cloth and some compressed air.

http://www.dummies.c...our-laptop.html
Read this to find out how to remove RAM on a notebook.

http://www.associate...ter.html?cat=59
Watch this video to remove RAM on a desktop.

Post back with the results, and good luck troubleshooting.