Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Pool Caller Error - Unable to Boot Windows

• Please log in to reply

kimberlyfaye

kimberlyfaye

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I've done a lot of searching online, but can't find anyone who appears to be having the same issue I am. Last night my Compaq V6000 was running really sluggishly and I tried to reboot. It wasn't responding so impatient me decided to hold the power button until the laptop powered down and then turn it back on. I haven't been able to get Windows to load properly since. It runs through the first loading screen, through the Windows XP screen and through the Compaq splash screen and into the blue loading Windows screen. After a few seconds, however, it flashes up a BSOD with a Bad Pool Caller error and attempts to reboot. It will hang in that cycle until I power it down.

The exact wording on the error is as follows:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xCB5A0000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I have not installed any new programs or devices in months. I wasn't using any new USB peripherals at the time. The only USB devices I use with any regularity are the sync cable for my iPod, a digital memory card reader and my external hard drive. I wasn't using any of these at the time, although I used the digital memory card reader earlier in the evening.

I have tried to boot in safe mode, but get the same error each time. I've tried standard safe mode and revert to last known working settings safe mode. Neither work. Each time I receive the same message.

Being that this is a Compaq, I didn't receive a Windows XP CD with my purchase. I don't have any system restore discs because there is supposedly a restore option on the D drive of this computer. I don't have a lot of files on this computer that aren't backed up elsewhere, but I would prefer to be able to access the ones that are there, if at all possible.

I did enter the BIOS setup prior to boot and ran the Hard Disk Self Test. Here is the report:
S.M.A.R.T.
100% Complete
(Quick) Pass
(Comprehensive) Pass
(S.M.A.R.T.) Pass

I've pretty much exhausted any thoughts I have on this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /f/r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
at the prompt..type in chkdsk /r
note the single space before the /

Edited by happyrock, 11 April 2009 - 05:10 PM.

kimberlyfaye

kimberlyfaye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for responding.

I downloaded the suggested file and burnt it to a CD. I changed the BIOS so it boots from the CD drive and am now looking at a blue screen with Windows XP Home Edition Setup. It is giving me the options to set up Windows XP, repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console or quit setup. How do I access the command prompt you mentioned? I didn't see a way to do that as the computer was booting.

Thanks again!

kimberlyfaye

kimberlyfaye

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to access both the Recovery Console and the Windows XP setup and both times I get a screen stating:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

I find this to be mildly concerning...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
select.... repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console ...press r

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you posted your last reply just before I posted...
you need to unplug the computer from the wall...change the data cable for the hard drive or unplug it from both ends and replug both ends ...
nojoy...
go into the bios by tapping the delete key about once per second as soon as you power up and see if the bios sees the hard drive..
what is the make and model of your system...