Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive crashed, need proffesional repair

• Please log in to reply

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My Hard drive crashed after attempting to clean malware. I took it to two semi-proffesionals who said they could not retrieve the data. Now I need full hard drive recovery help. Do you know any good hard drive recovery proffesionals? A link to their website would be nice. :)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How has this drive crashed? Is it totally mechanically dead? Do you feel any vibrations from the drive when it's powered up? Malware clean-up shouldn't kill a drive like this unless it was already on the way out.
If the drive's mechanically toast data recovery costs literally an arm and a leg with no guarantees at the end of the day. You may be better off just considering you've lost it all.

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It has pwoer, but it cannot read the data

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello Tigerlure

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

We will need some more information
If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

What type of errors are you getting?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this the main drive in the computer?
If this is not the main drive, is it seen in "my computer"?
Does this 1 have the operating system on it?
What is the exact error you are getting?

As Neil stated, malware cleaning will not destroy the drive physically unless it was on the way out.

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It was a seagate model, and I guess it was on the way out. It lasted about 5 years. It has like 3 operating errors before it went out. Barracuda 7200.8 250 Gigs. Had windows xp media center.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I do know that there are companies out there that can recover data from a physically damaged hard drive, but often costs more money than it's worth and I have never heard of anyone doing it less they had something of great value on it. I can look into it if you want, but my first recomendation would be to buy a new hard drive and install your operating system on your new drive. After that we can see if we can recover some of your lost data.

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I bought a new hard drive, and put my OS on it.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Cool! Are you needing any other help with it?

Tigerlure

Tigerlure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Cool! Are you needing any other help with it?

Not with the new one, I am currently talking to you on it, but I would like an estimate of who and how much it would cost to repair/salvage data off my old hard drive.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, after you put in your new hard drive and install your operating system then put your old hard drive in the computer as a slave to the new one. Your computer should boot off of the new one and list the old one as a second hard drive. If you can get it to list as a second hard drive then we can try to go back into it to copy files directly over to your new one and not need to pay for any thing.