Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Hoc internet connection sharing between XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

famebyframe

famebyframe

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
The network adapter on my "Vista Home" laptop seems to be fried so to get it on the net, I was wondering if I could use my friend's XP laptop to try to bridge a connection?

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes you can. There are two options available. First, if your friend is connected to a router, you can just bridge the connection. Otherwise, your friend needs to setup Internet Connection Sharing on Windows and share the connection with you through WiFi.

I am assuming that your friend is connected to the network using an ethernet network adapter.

For the first option, your friend needs to setup an adhoc wireless network where you will have to join. Then your friend will bridge his ethernet and wireless network adapter in Network Connections. Then try repairing your wireless network adapter. You should be able to acquire an IP address.

For the other option, you still need the adhoc wireless network. The difference is your friend will enable Internet Connection Sharing on the ethernet network adapter. This will allow your friend's Windows to give you an IP address and act as a gateway.