Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

external HD recovery

• Please log in to reply

spyrohead

spyrohead

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok so I have a "i-o data" external HD
it had a nasty fall, when trying to access it later it didnt show up in my computer, although the computer recognized it. (usb device detected, your new hardware is ready to use)
but still nothing in "my computer".
Im trying a HD recovery tool called "view it now snap" and it detects the drive but when I try to follow the steps the website tellls me to it ends with an error that reads "FUNC: () MSG: () LBA: (0) NUM (0)"
does anyone know what I should do, or is there any other HD recovery tool out there that you recomend for this problem?
Please help

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Drive's toast. Professional recovery (small fortune) or new doorstop.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
I'm afraid it does look bad. At this point I'd like to recoment a few options you may have.

First of all, if the hard drive is still under waranty I would strongly recomend sending it back for a new one.

If the hard drive no longer has a waranty then you can buy an internal hard drive, open up the external casing, and swap hard drives, if you can buy a new external hard drive. Unfortunatally, if your hard drive is acting like this, I do not think there is a way to save your data from the hard drive.