Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformatting windows xp

• Please log in to reply

skhiev

skhiev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just had a question. Somethings wrong with my windows xp media edition 2005 laptop and I was just planning to have a friend reboot/ reformat it. I wanted to know if he was going to be able to have access to my files on my desktop while he was doing what it is you do when you reformat/ reboot.
Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you format a system you are wiping the hard drive clean. If using manufacturers disk then the system will be like it was brand new. What issues are you having that makes you think you need to format?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello skhiev

Quote " I wanted to know if he was going to be able to have access to my files on my desktop while he was doing what it is you do when you reformat/ reboot. "

Unless , you have backed these files up to a external media/storage solution , no you will not be able to access them...

If they are backed up , they can be transferred to an alternative computer easily via USB

Anthony19

skhiev

skhiev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So many viruses I'd rather just reformat my laptop.
Thanks for the reply.

SomeCrazyStuff

SomeCrazyStuff

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
careful if you are making a backup copy of files to keep from your current laptop configuration. It is possible to include the viruses or files infected by the viruses in you backups, In which case you would then continue to put them back on the clean system.. May want to look into getting your system cleaned before saving a backup copy of files. If you are planning to use external media to backup files (i.e. external harddrive or usb or similar) many viruses are know to attack removable media. so just be careful!

If they are backed up , they can be transferred to an alternative computer easily via USB

Are you sure about that? I have never been able to get 2 computer to connect with simply a usb cable. I have connected two macs with a firewire cable, and you may be able to do the same with pc's.. never tried though...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You do not have to do this format skhiev. The techs in the malware forum are specially trained to deal with virus's and malware issues. They are experts at what they do. They may be able to not only save your data but clean your syste, also with min loss of problems if any. Please before deciding to format(As this is a last resort for any tech on GeeksToGo)
Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.