Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus on Dig Camera, MP3, flash drive

• Please log in to reply

bigmack2009

bigmack2009

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer had defender quit, then norton, printing weird in hotmail, icons disappearing, appearance of ie 8 changing, history addresses changing, etc. The latest virus scans show nothing. I want to wipe drive with 156 bit wiper and reinstall. Have cds. Questions: I should probably erase the peripherals first then erase the computer. Can it get back on after I erase it? How do I wipe these things enough to clear off the virus without removing the drivers?

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

My name is Cbarnard

It appears you may have a malware problem. Please click here on malware and spyware cleaning guide follow the instructions there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a NEW topic and post the requested logs in THAT forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Thank you and Good Luck

Cbarnard

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please follow CBarnard's advise first. Most times the malware and virus can be cleaned without a full reformat and OS install.

To answer your questions. I do not know what 156 bitwiper is. I suspect it is a program to security wipe a drive by writing 1's and 0's to it.
If that is what it is, then you will have absolutely nothing left on the hard drive.
There will be no programs, software, drivers, or data.
If you ultimately choose this route, we can still help. If you try to save the data, it will need to be scanned and cleaned of any virus.