Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Digital Camera to Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I used my Nikon Coolpix L4 camera's video recorder option on some of my sons birthday party activities and I am trying to use windows movie maker to piece the different files together and I'm having a problem.

After I transfered them from the camera to my pc, windows media player would not play them, saying that the file type was not supported. I then converted them using format factory to a ".avi" format and now windows media player plays them fine. But when I go to windows movie maker and try to import the files i get the following error mesaage:

The file "C:\Users\MyName\Pictures\2009 Learning how to ride ripstick\Brooke wipes out.avi" cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I currently have the normal codec's that come with my operating system "Vista Ultimate 64" and I also installed an additional codec package for XviD. Am I missing some other codec that needs to be installed? I'm pretty sure the ".avi" file type is correct since it plays in wmp just fine. I also tried converting to ".wmv" and got the exact same error code from windows movie maker.

Any help would be appreciated?

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello SpaceCowboy706

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

If you are able to play the file just fine then it sounds like you definatally have the right codec. My first recomendation to you would be to try to uninstall movie maker and reinstall it and see if the error presists. If it does then we will need to know some more information about your computer.

If this is a name brand system:
Make
Model
Operating System
Age of the computer
Memory Total
Hard Drive Size, How much free space

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
There is seems some codec problem.
Try to install K-lite media codec pack:
http://www.free-code..._codec_pack.htm

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Hello SpaceCowboy706

My first recomendation to you would be to try to uninstall movie maker and reinstall it and see if the error presists. If it does then we will need to know some more information about your computer.

If this is custom then We will need the following:
The CPU brand and model
The Motherboard brand and model
Ram amount and speed
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA
Hard Drive size and free space
Any cards in PCI slots
Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started

All this will help in determining a course of action to best correct the problem you are experiencing.

Is it possible to uninstall Windows Movie Maker since it is a part of windows? If so, how does one go about doing this?

This is a custom built PC I put together in March of this year:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate 64-bit (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
System Model: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, OC to 2.85GHz
Memory: OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel
Video: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 (Driver Version: 8.15.0010.0183}
HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU: Antec EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode
Cd\Dvd rom interface IDE/ SATA: Sony Optiarc SATA Model AD-7221S

Any software installed\updated and driver updates done just before problem started: None

smith134 = I already installed Klite when I built the system, was how i got the XviD codec...

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Any ideas, anyone... ?