Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new install of Ubuntu 8.10 boots up to mouse and wallpaper only

• Please log in to reply

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

so if i run the same OS you are running, with me using all the enhanced graphics etc wont lag my pc?

if you mean me - then i installed pclinuxos on a spare hdd in my system (p4 3.4, 2 gb ddr400), very smooth - but like i said, can't do what mandriva does - and couldn't be bothered working it out (fractal art programs, quat and xaos),

if i like linux alot, ill probably ditch server and install linux onto it.

why not dual boot ?

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I tried the dual boot thing already with my laptop but id rather have just one OS running...my personal preference I guess. but what is madriva and thank chamber for helping me out

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I tried the dual boot thing already with my laptop but id rather have just one OS running...my personal preference I guess. but what is madriva and thank chamber for helping me out

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
mandriva is mandriva linux, it used to be called mandrake,
its a sort of spin-off from redhat linux and uses urpmi instead of synaptic that ubuntu uses for software management

pclinuxos is a spin-off from mandriva but uses synaptic

you can run mandriva from a cd, but there is no compiz until its installed,
at the moment its mandriva 2009.0 but in about 11 days mandriva 2009 spring will be released

i've been using mandriva since mdv2007 spring, i've tried quite a few flavours of linux but none are like mandriva (to me anyway)

http://www.mandriva....driva-linux-one

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
so in your mind would you recommend that i switch from ubuntu to mandriva

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
also,, the regular pc use is fast enough, but when it comes to web surfing it becomes kind of slow and laggy..... any idea why... or any idea how to make it faster??,,, im using firefox by the way

Edited by mrq201, 17 April 2009 - 08:17 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

in my mind - yes, but i am biased towards mandriva, its what i am comfortable with - and my pc is comfortable with it

there are hundreds more versions of linux, a lot with live cd's and most are free,
all it takes is the time to download and the cost of a blank cd

here is a list

http://www.livecdlist.com/

and this is distrowatch, it probably lists all the linux versions there are

http://distrowatch.com/

don't give up, there will be one you fall for and the rewards for learning (and playing with compiz :) ) are limitless,

just reading your first post again,
when you boot a live cd its loaded into your physical memory, you do not need a hdd, everything will seem slow,
you can check that (nearly) everything works and whether you like the GUI (general user interface),
anything you download will not be saved, anything you change in the live version when you are running it will not be saved,

e.g - uninstall firefox and install opera -

once you exit the live cd, it will revert back to the state when you first burnt it (as its read only) and the pc will never know linux has been running,
there is also an option to install to a usb memory stick/flash memory - or maybe an sd card (i have a homemade bootable linux flash drive and a spare sd card :) )

options, options

as for your regular pc - thats another thread, i think

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Make Firefox Faster

You can also see what distro would be better for you HERE.

The great thing about linux as Hawklord says is that there are so many options open to you, if you get bored or fancy something different backup your stuff and load a new one.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

in my mind - yes, but i am biased towards mandriva, its what i am comfortable with - and my pc is comfortable with it

there are hundreds more versions of linux, a lot with live cd's and most are free,
all it takes is the time to download and the cost of a blank cd

here is a list

http://www.livecdlist.com/

and this is distrowatch, it probably lists all the linux versions there are

http://distrowatch.com/

don't give up, there will be one you fall for and the rewards for learning (and playing with compiz :) ) are limitless,

just reading your first post again,
when you boot a live cd its loaded into your physical memory, you do not need a hdd, everything will seem slow,
you can check that (nearly) everything works and whether you like the GUI (general user interface),
anything you download will not be saved, anything you change in the live version when you are running it will not be saved,

e.g - uninstall firefox and install opera -

once you exit the live cd, it will revert back to the state when you first burnt it (as its read only) and the pc will never know linux has been running,
there is also an option to install to a usb memory stick/flash memory - or maybe an sd card (i have a homemade bootable linux flash drive and a spare sd card :) )

options, options

as for your regular pc - thats another thread, i think

ok I will uninstall firefox and install opera browser...
Im also not using the live cd... its installed directly installed on my harddrive...
in terms of tryin the different flavours, I think I will after i sort of get comfortable with unbuntu.. once i get relaxed with it and are able to accomplish most of the things I can accomplish in windows, I will try out other linux operating systems and fall in love with one of them. The one thing i am looking for is speed.. but i will take a look at everything you all have sent.. again.. I love these forums

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Make Firefox Faster

You can also see what distro would be better for you HERE.

The great thing about linux as Hawklord says is that there are so many options open to you, if you get bored or fancy something different backup your stuff and load a new one.

im actually a wiz with windows and know most of the lil tips and tricks with it and firefox (thats how i want to be with linux and hopefully i will be able to with the help of you and hawklord)

you mentioned something i never thought about...if i backup my the settings I have on ubuntu, i can load it onto another linux version or whatever its called and I wont have to install ALL THOSE updates and apply the settings again?

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I may just get mandriva.. i took a look at the distros and I see that mandriva is made for brand new users like me... hmmmm

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
Go MANDRIVA.... say bye bye to windows 2003 server lol

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok first issue. I inserted a dvd into the dvd rom and then nothing happens.... secondly, I dont even know how to access the dvdrom drive.. any help on this one guys

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
What do you mean nothing happens?

It doesn't recognise the live dvd when you boot?

Also remember that Mandriva doesn't use aptitude as it package manager, so command line inputs will be different, for instance when updating in Ubuntu or other debian based distros would be,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

in Mandriva it would be,

Type su -
Press Enter
Enter your password
type urpmi –auto-update
Answer Yes when appropriate.

In answer to your question when changing distos you will still need to get all the packages that you want.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
mandriva does it itself, there is no need to use the update commands