Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new install of Ubuntu 8.10 boots up to mouse and wallpaper only

• Please log in to reply

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
just as a thought - mandriva does not support some packages, mainly some codecs and some dvd/cd manipulation apps,

so you will need this

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

if you have mdv2009.0 then just use the auto-detect selection, you will be asked for your root password, this will add extra repositories so you can get (for instance) the win32 codecs,

when updates are found then you need your user password to install them, for a full standard update you will be getting around 450 updates (about an hours worth) the 2 biggest ones are openoffice and a new kernel,
once its done i can give you the command to remove the old kernel

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i did the update where i had to get the 4992 updates..... it took and an hour to get

but here is the issue.. i insert the dvd into the drive, then finally im seeing something new... I went into menu, souund video, movie player and saw the dvd movie.. i tried to play it and it said totem was unable to play this disk and the reason was not given.

i will check out the easyurpmi.org wenbsite

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
SO i did the easyurpmi thing and installed the media files. I went back into meenu, sound, video, movie player and now im seeing Totem could not play this dvd although a plugin is present to handle it. THen it says, you might want to check that a disc is present and that it is correctly configured.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

What do you mean nothing happens?

It doesn't recognise the live dvd when you boot?

Also remember that Mandriva doesn't use aptitude as it package manager, so command line inputs will be different, for instance when updating in Ubuntu or other debian based distros would be,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

in Mandriva it would be,

Type su -
Press Enter
Enter your password
type urpmi –auto-update
Answer Yes when appropriate.

In answer to your question when changing distos you will still need to get all the packages that you want.

i pressed the run command and typed in su and pressed enter, then it disappeared..

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
there seems to be a problem with the ac3 codec in totem, i gave up trying to fix it and took the easy way out,

mplayer or xine :) , if you open your 'install and remove software' from your K button, enter your root password, let it settle then just type -

mplayer-gui then enter

you will see (should) 3 entries - either one will do

for xine, make sure you have libxine1, xine-plugins and xine-ui (the first two are plf - penguin liberation front)

all you need to do is check the relevant box and apply,
what i normaly do is Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and log back in (just habit) to complete the process

do you have your compiz working ?

Edited by hawklord, 19 April 2009 - 11:55 AM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
just out of interest - what and how did you update ?,

i have a 'just in case' hdd with mandriva on which i installed a couple of days ago - there were only 450 or so updates

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

there seems to be a problem with the ac3 codec in totem, i gave up trying to fix it and took the easy way out,

mplayer or xine :) , if you open your 'install and remove software' from your K button, enter your root password, let it settle then just type -

mplayer-gui then enter

you will see (should) 3 entries - either one will do

for xine, make sure you have libxine1, xine-plugins and xine-ui (the first two are plf - penguin liberation front)

all you need to do is check the relevant box and apply,
what i normaly do is Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and log back in (just habit) to complete the process

do you have your compiz working ?

i havent really tried the desktop wizard or the effects as yet.... i always like to have the general use of the pc working first. I do believe the compiz is working though and thanks for the tip for the media player. What else do i need to install or whatever????

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

............What else do i need to install or whatever????

i couldn't say - it depends on the function, i use my pc for multi-media and it needs to be in tiptop condition all the time

you could install sudo - its a lot safer than su, chkrootkit and rkhunter for malware detection, partimage for hdd imaging or just enable your backups,
i changed my K button to show the kickoff menu instead of classic (user prefference),
eerrmmm - Amsn for msn as it allows webcam, devede for video creation

there is also vlc if you prefer it as a media player - but you will need to install vlc-plugin-a52 (plf again) for the ac3 codec

added write access to ntfs partitions by editing etc/fstab, enabled auto-login

anything i can help with just ask (best to do it in a new thread though)

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
see with me, im all into movies and music, so thats the main thing I was looking for, then im into networking.... i want to be able to access my linux pc from my xp pro labbtop.

i use vlc media on my laptop and on my xp machines but for some reason i cant install it on manriva as yet..

I will try to install the thing for the malware.. im am all into security also..

whats the K button also??

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
media you say - o goodie i can turn yours into a clone of mine :)

i think yours will say 'menu' at the moment (bottom left), right click and choose kickoff

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
its soo funny how most of the applications i needed are already on mandriva that i didnt know about. Is everything in the add/remove thing?? Why arent all the packages installed when you first install mandriva?

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Because that would be a bloomin big install!! lol

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

media you say - o goodie i can turn yours into a clone of mine :)

i think yours will say 'menu' at the moment (bottom left), right click and choose kickoff

yeah umm.. i got a "good amount of stufff" on my other harddrive... but yeah im all into multi media.. also... what burning software is used on mandriva?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

lol.. yeah i realise.... all i am doing is installing packaages.. like i havent stopped yet..... and im curious to see how many other packages exist

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

thats an understatement

all the software you should ever need is in the repositories, same with most flavours of linux,

you don't need to install everything :)