Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't power on

• Please log in to reply

boscru6469

boscru6469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have an HP Media Center m1170n. It will not power on. When I press the button on the front I don't get anything at all. I thought it may be the power supply and tried a new one, I still have the problem. I disconnected all addon cards, HD cables and power cables from the motherboard. Plugged in the 24 pin cable to the board and turned the PC on and the fan on the PSU started. I then plugged in the 12v connector and turned on the PC and the fan on the PSU did not start. Does this mean my board is dead, CPU is dead or both?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First how old is the system?
By your description, the motherboard is dead.
If you connect other leads and the fans all turn on, the hd spins up, the dvd\cdrom drive lights up then the problem is mb.

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, video card, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
turn power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 April 2009 - 11:35 AM.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
System is 5 years old. The only thing that spins is the fan on the PSU. that is with only the 24 pin connector plugged in. If I plug in the 4 pin nothing at all happens.

Edited by boscru6469, 13 April 2009 - 12:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except

* keyboard
* mouse
* video output
* 20+4 powercable
* 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
* Cpu fan wire
* power and reset button to the case
*case speaker

Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case witch could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, video card, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on

If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I will try this later on in the week and get back to you. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK sorry for the double post on testing the mb. I hope it didn't confuse you

clingon

clingon

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

I have an HP Media Center m1170n. It will not power on. When I press the button on the front I don't get anything at all. I thought it may be the power supply and tried a new one, I still have the problem. I disconnected all addon cards, HD cables and power cables from the motherboard. Plugged in the 24 pin cable to the board and turned the PC on and the fan on the PSU started. I then plugged in the 12v connector and turned on the PC and the fan on the PSU did not start. Does this mean my board is dead, CPU is dead or both?

Had the exact same problem last week with a 12month old HP Media Center m7000, woking fine then press the power button the next day and nothing. The LED light on the MB still comes on.

Luckly it was just within the warranty period so it has gone back, but reading on with interest because Id like to know what it might have been & if its a common fault/ failure.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
rshaffer61 I disconnected everything from the mobo except for cpu and psu. When I plug-in the 24 pin connector from the psu and the switch connector then push the switch, the psu fan spins. When I connect the 4 pin 15v and push the switch nothing happens. I also have to reset the psu by disconnecting the power cord and moving the voltage switch for 10 seconds and then moving it back. The same thing happens with the mobo removed and placed on a piece of cardboard.

What would happen if I tried the same thing with the cpu removed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is not recommended as the cpu is the brain of the system. Without it the mb has nothing to think for it. Where exactly are you plugging the 4 pin 12v connector onto the mb?
When you do the first test are you getting video then or still nothing?

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I am plugging the 12v connector in the ATX12v slot. I have not connected the video card in any of my tests. There is no on-board video. The only thing I have plugged ito the board is 1 stick of ram, CPU, CPU fan and PSU.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok we need to see if the video will run with the mb out of the system. Please put video card in and boot. Let me know the results

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I put in the video card and no change. With 12v unplugged I get the PSU fan to move but with it plugged in, I get nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe you have a faulty mb. But just for verification try it again and let me know if the PSU fan keeps turning even after plugging the 12v in and turning system on

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No luck. When the 12v connector is plugged in I get nothing at all. The only way I get anything is with the 12v disconnected and my psu fan starts..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With that I believe the motherboard is bad. I am going to ask a Tech Staff member to double check my findings and verify what I believe is the problem. Please be patient as they may be alittle busy.