Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't power on

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Need you to take the cpu out, then reseat it to make sure it is seated correctly in the socket.
While you have it off please check and make sure there is thermal paste between the cpu and the fan. If not please apply a small amount and make sure it covers the top of the cpu. Reapply the fan and try everything again. If there still is no response then we are looking at a bad cpu or a bad mb.
Please post with results in your next reply.

Advertisements

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Removed the CPU, cleaned it and reseated it. Did not put the fan back on. I figured there would be no reason for it for a 2 second test. I got the same results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to believe then it is a bad mb. :) At this point you could purchase a new mb that will work with your cpu or buy a mb and new cpu and fan and do a upgrade. Being a HP that may be a costly adventure. I believe HP's are proprietary which means their mb is all that will fit in their system. Please look HERE and let me know if this looks like your mb.
HERE are the specifications for your system. From this page you can get to the support page and contact information for HP. The other option you have is to purchase what is called a barebones system and rebuild a new system using the parts you can out of the HP. Let me know whiich route you would like to take and I will be here to assist with anything I can.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
HP shows the motherboard as this one PTGD1-LA

I think it may be a good idea to upgrade it. The cost of replacing the existing board and cpu isn't much less than upgrading. The only problem would be I would also have to get new memory.

Are you sure that a newer micro ATX board won't fit in this case?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They may but you would have to make sure the I\O ports on the back would match up or take the silver face plate out so that everything would be accessible.

Here is a mb and cpu combo with cpu fan 73.00

Here is 2 gigs of memory 19.00
Total price is 92.00 plus shipping.

This looks like it will go into your case now and give you a little faster cpu and newer faster memory. Let me know what you think and if you know how it compares with just replacing the mb

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I think that would be a downgrade. The Sempron is a 2 ghz processor. The one that is currently in it is a 3.0 ghz. I have about $140 to play with. Don't the mobo's come with the shield? That board is 9.6" x 7.5" and the current is 9.6" x 9.6". Would the mounting holes still line up?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They should as most cases have multi holes in the mounting plate.. The combo was the only one I found with micro-atx form factor.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll look around on the web and see what I can find. If you don't mind I will give you the info to take a look at before I purchase it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sure not a problem. I'm always willing to help if I can.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Would any of these bundles worK? Number 1 Number 2 Number 3

Keep in mind I need these connections on the board.

Front USB connector - 9 pin
Front memory card reader - 4 pin
Front audio connector - 9 pin
Front switch connector - 9 pin
24 pin ATX connector
4 pin ATX 12v
3 pin System Fan
4 Pin CPU fan
1 Ide
2 SATA (minimum)
2 PCI slots (minimum)

Have a PCIEX16 video card

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Would any of these bundles worK? Number 1 Number 2 Number 3

Keep in mind I need these connections on the board.

Front USB connector - 9 pin
Front memory card reader - 4 pin
Front audio connector - 9 pin
Front switch connector - 9 pin
24 pin ATX connector
4 pin ATX 12v
3 pin System Fan
4 Pin CPU fan
1 Ide
2 SATA (minimum)
2 PCI slots (minimum)

Have a PCIEX16 video card

All three have everything you need but actuall you only two choices as the amd ones you link to are the same one. The media card reader is in a bay isn't it? It should be as it is setup like a dvd player so the connector is internal. that should not be a problem with any of the 3 as that would be controlled by the PSU as far as power. I hope this helps out. At this point the only decision is which cpu do you like? The AMD is 2.7 ghz and the Intel is 2.5ghz. It will really depend on what you use the system for. If it's more for multimedia I like AmD better. More for Office and Business applications then Intel. It's a personal preference as either cpu will do just as good for either application.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The media card is really not an add-on, It is above the optical drives.

My problem is I can't see all the pin connections on the new MBs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you take a picture of the front of your system? I think we are saying the same thing so just want to make sure. Which mb are you thinking about or did you get one already?
I will try to find you a better graphic of it so you can see the pins.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Page 5 has the pictureHP m1170n

I haven't decided yet. The computer is actually a neighbors so the final decision will be hers.

boscru6469

boscru6469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
rshaffer61 What are your thoughts on this. Kit