Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to logon locally

• Please log in to reply

fillcakes

fillcakes

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been maintaining PCs for a school since 2001. A handful of PCs were supplied in 2003 with win98se p[re-installed for a domain network, the supplier had set them up offsite and have installed them in such a way that I can't logon on to the PCs locally. The lock down is to prevent students 'messing around with settings'.

I've searched the registry, the bat and sys files, and rummaged through hidden folders and I can't work out precisely how they have managed to crippple the local logon.

I noticed however a command embedded in a scipt that ran the following regentry

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\????? Computers Ltd]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\????? Computers Ltd\Network]
"Server Path"="\\\\%servername%\\users\\"
"ProfilePath"="H:\\"
"FileName"="user.man"

This suggests perhaps that a profile user is set up before logon? I've blanked oout the name of the company with ??????.

In the past when their harddrives had failed I simply ghosted another drive out of a similar spec PC but on this occasion I have had to replace the motherboard so I need to logon locally to change the motherboard resource drivers.

Booting from a floppy is no use. I need to logon and run windows locally.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is policy editor loaded on the machine?

fillcakes

fillcakes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yep, policy editor is loaded. I think it runs in a shell

fillcakes

fillcakes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've not heard from anyone, so I thought I would simply ask if anyone can tell me what effect this addition to the registry has on the domain logon window

As I am trying to get rid of a lock out on a system that prevents me from logging in lto the local machine