Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

939 AMD good motherboard

• Please log in to reply

roll

roll

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

I need to buy a new motherboard with a 939 AMD socket in order to be able to use my Athlon 64 X2 dual-core CPU, and my DDR memory.

I don't have a lot of money. But I want reliable hardware.

So, if you know good models of motherboards with a 939 AMD socket, please state it here.

I know that 939 is not very popular anymore but I don't want to get rid of my CPU.

Thank you!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Whats your budget look like?
What kind of DDR memory? DDR2 or DDR. What speed is it?

Look Here for mobo's with the configuration you are looking for

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 April 2009 - 01:30 PM.

roll

roll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
DDR memory. Budget, not exceeding too much the hundred bucks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There are lots of them in your price range on that site

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...silly question? :) ...what's the difference between socket 939 and socket AM2?... :) ...older socket, perhaps?...and here I thought all Athlon X2s were socket AM2... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They should be. Maybe the 939 is just the older style. That page has some good information but I will research it for you and see what I can find.
Ok I found this from wikipedia
It's got a good explanation of the differences in the 939 and AM2
Click Here for Am2 and Socket 939

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 April 2009 - 07:16 PM.

bustermoves

bustermoves

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
i bought an asus m3n78vm ,which is a socket am2+,for around80-90 bucks.says for am2 and am2+.i think a 939 or 940 chip will work on this one as well.originally bought it to put an amd 5600 on,but ended up with a amd 9600 quad and 4 gigs of ram.this is a ddr2 board,btw

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
sounds screaming. :)
I like Asus mobo's and AMD cpu's. I have used them for the past 10 years now. In fact the board and cpu I have in now is prob 6 years old. I use to play alot of games but now I watch movies mostly and spend time here helping. I found the AMD was better for multimedia stuff then the intel's. Go Here to see the specifications on the mobo.
If this is the board you bought to replace the bad board you got a good board. I don't see what socket it has except am2 and am+
The ram it shows as DDR2 though, is yours DDR@ or just DDR?
Depending on what speed ram you want it's not that much in price.
I found this Memory at Tigerdirect. To replace your existing with new DDR2 you are looking about 100 for 4 2gb sticks.

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 April 2009 - 07:48 PM.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...according to what I just read (that Wikipedia article), you can't run a socket 939 CPU on a socket AM2 board or vice versa...it said right at the outset that 939 and AM2 are incompatible...I imagine they have different pinouts...
...I also have used AMD CPUs for about 15 years, going all the way back to their 486DX4-120(!)...never had any issues...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Same here. I believe the pin configuration is slightly different between am2 and 939.
Being that the case a new cpu won't cost that much and the fan should work so that saves you allot since you can get a OEm version instead of a retail version.

Go to the CPU'S and check it out. I hope this is helping?

Advertisements

roll

roll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
On amdboard.com I looked at some 939 motherboards with the same chipset as my old dead one.

I found these:

ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2
TForce 6100-939 & GeForce 600-M9
Foxconn WinFast 6100K8MA µATX
GA-K8N51GMF-9 µATX

Because they have the same chipset as my old motherboard, will I be able to run my old hard drive as master? Or I won't be able to run the system and will need to format?

Edited by roll, 13 April 2009 - 09:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as thye have a socket 939 and support standard DDR memory you will be fine. I looked at amdboard.com and found the page with all the mobo's that will support your cpu
Take a look Here
My personal preference has always been Asus, but that is your choice. Just make sure they will support your memory type

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...that last board on your list is a Gigabyte...I don't think you'll go wrong with that one, either (I've been using a Gigabyte AM2 m/b with an X2 6000+ Windsor for the last two years; maybe not the 'ideal' pairing, but I have no complaints at all)...if you do decide to go with that one, make sure you install the utilities that come with it (@Bios and EasyTune). @Bios will allow you to download and install BIOS updates directly from Gigabyte, and EasyTune gives you on-the-fly overclocking, CPU fan temp settings and system voltage, fan speed and temp monitoring...

Edited by ZedU54, 13 April 2009 - 10:03 AM.

roll

roll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I selected those one on my list because they have the same chipset, but is it really important?

To explain, my Gateway computer stopped working because of dead motherboard.
The motherboard was a Foxconn C51GU01.
Specifications here: http://support.gatew...05552sp23.shtml

If I buy another mobo with the same socket and the same chipset (GeForce 6100-nForce 410), can I assemble all my working pieces together (Athlon CPU, DDR memory, hard drives) in an ATX case, and have a ready working system?

I mean, even if it's another motherboard, if the new motherboard has the same socket and chipset that the C51GU01, will my OS load normally?

Sorry if it's unclear, my English isn't perfect. If you don't understand, I will try to re-explain.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Socket and memory support are first thing to make sure.
The chipset you are asking about is video. That will not be a issue as most motherboards will come with a drivers disk anyway and regardless you will have to install that.

Video chipset is only one of the drivers for onboard
Network\Lan connector onboard
Audio\High Definition on most new boards now onboard
USB 2.0 and controller on most newer boards now onboard

Don't worry to much about the video chipset as long as it is as good if not better then what you have currently :yes:USB 2.0

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 April 2009 - 11:11 AM.