Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router Overload?

• Please log in to reply

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router connected to a 100mbps wired connection routing to a 56mbps laptop. And just recently when I'm downloading torrents (legal ones) all the lights on the router light up and stop blinking. And it requires me unplugging and plugging the power cord back in for it to reboot. I don't have any problems when I remove router and connect directly to cable modem. Whats the deal?

Advertisements

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Hello leedownen123

Welcome to G2G! My name is Oreo Collas and I'll be helping today. Please be sure that you print or copy all of the instructions to a document on your desktop as many of the directions may require you to log into Safe Mode or unhook your internet connection.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please make sure to read through all the directions and make sure that you understand them completly before doing any thing. If there is something that you do not unsderstand then let me know and I will elaborate. Skipping steps, working out of order, or working ahead of the directions may cause undesireable results.

Well, in order to properly assist you I'd like to ask a couple questions. Are you wired into the router or are you connectiong wirelessly. If it's wireless then do you have a password? Also, have you tried resetting your router with the reset button on the back of the router?

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
My desktop is a wired connection and laptop is wireless. It does it on both when download torrents though. Yes, I have a password on router. No, I haven't pushed reset button on router because I forgot if I have to configure/setup router again or not

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
You will need to reconfigure the router from the wired computer if you reset it, but for the purpose of trying to fix this I want you to make sure your fire wall is up to date and running on both computers then reset the router. Resetting it will clear the password and will open up the network to anyone who wants to connect. Try to download now and see if this fixes it. If this works I will help you reconfigure your router so that hopefully it does not do this again.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Ok I checked firewall on both computers and they're both update. I reset it and then went ahead and configured it. I started up the torrent on the wireless laptop and went to the gym. It downloaded fine the whole time while I was away and nothing was going except torrent. But when I got home and started browsing multiple sites with multiple tabs open in Firefox on my desktop, it happened again. Could it be too much for the router or something?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
How did you reconfigure your router? Try doing it without any configuration. Rest reset it and leave it.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I pressed and held button on back for 10 secs. and it flashed lights and reset. Then I inserted D-Link cd and ran auto install of router. Then I typed in IP address in Firefox and logged in as username: admin, and left password blank as it instructed. And I didn't touch anything except set 128-bit WEP password key for network. This problem just popped up the last couple of days and I haven't touched router setup.

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Try doing it without the password. I have had a similar issue that only came up when a password was set up.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Ok I reset it and didn't insert Cd or do any configuring and started a torrent on the laptop. Now guess I'll just wait a little bit.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well..Its been torrenting heavy for bout over an hour and no problems...weird... So what about setting it back up or what do you think I should do?

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Well, my router has a similar problem. Usually if I leave the PS3 connected for too long. You can either run wired, check into a new router, or make sure you got a good firewall up and run without a password. I've reset mine a few times, and finally just got rid of the password.

I would also recommend not using torrents. Even legal ones can lead to infections and security threats.

leedownen123

leedownen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yeah... Well I'll probably set up a password again (so I don't have people in the neighborhood hogging my bandwidth) and I'll probably just stop using torrents instead of looking into another router. Thanks for your help identifying the problem. Much appreciated!

Oreo Collas

Oreo Collas

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Glad I could help. Make sure you completely uninstall the program to be sure there are no more threats.